• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30 R&P install

whitetrashxj

NAXJA Forum User
anyone know of a site where i can look up how to install my new ring and pinion and locker, ive looked but mostly found info on how to install a locker in a d30 any info would be great

nick

setting gears isnt something you should just jump right into like that especially if its your dd you should probably pay someone to do it if you dont already know.

its not my dd but i would like to learn how to do it for future breaks or anything, i called around for install and most places charge from 300 to one place that quoted me 1000 just for the install, i have everything at home,

Start with buying a large dollar amount of special tools. I have about $1500 in tools just for gear set-ups, not including my press.

lowrange2 said:
Got the same article with pics? Do the pics still work for you guys?
Pics are working for me.

I pissed away so much money paying others to do my gear work, I invested in the tools myself...seriously, if you have the patience to work through a proper set-up AND have ready access to not just a press, but the operator and tooling that goes with the press...and are prepared to possibly foul up your new parts in the learning process, have at it....at least you won't have to worry if someone did your stuff wrong.

I looked at it this way....It couldn't possibly be as expensive as the learning curve for the nitrous set-up on my Top Gas bike was....and I was right.

xjtrailrider said:
Start with buying a large dollar amount of special tools. I have about $1500 in tools just for gear set-ups, not including my press.

I've got about 1/3 of that in tools and I do just fine. ;)
A good dial indicator however is a must, if you need to buy one I'd recommend Starrett Tools for any kinda of precision measurements; they've never let me down.

Ramsey said:
Pics are working for me.
Same here.

-Shop press (with accompanying adapters to fit your specific needs)
-Bearing splitter (for pressing pinion bearing off)
-Puller (for carrier bearings)
-Case spreader
-Micrometer
-Dial indicator and base
-lb/in torque wrench (dial or beam)
-lb/ft torque wrench (250 lb/ft)
-Yoke fixture

bobnoxious said:
-Shop press (with accompanying adapters to fit your specific needs)
-Bearing splitter (for pressing pinion bearing off)
-Puller (for carrier bearings)
-Case spreader
-Micrometer
-Dial indicator and base
-lb/in torque wrench (dial or beam)
-lb/ft torque wrench (250 lb/ft)
-Yoke fixture

That just about covers it, with the exception of a pinion depth gauge. That is one tool that will speed up the set up process since all pinions have the depth labeled on them, getting it on or close the suggested depth will eliminate a couple of tries at tooth contact.

I made my own spreader, yoke fixture, and pinion depth gauge.

xjtrailrider said:
That just about covers it, with the exception of a pinion depth gauge. That is one tool that will speed up the set up process since all pinions have the depth labeled on them, getting it on or close the suggested depth will eliminate a couple of tries at tooth contact.

I made my own spreader, yoke fixture, and pinion depth gauge.

I was going to list the pinion depth guage, but it's doable without it.

I've got everything except the case spreader. How different is the setup with the D30... I noticed that write-up is for a D60. Does the D30 have a crush sleeve or the Chryco 8.25 I gotta do both...?

lowrange2 said:
I've got everything except the case spreader. How different is the setup with the D30... I noticed that write-up is for a D60. Does the D30 have a crush sleeve or the Chryco 8.25 I gotta do both...?

The 8.25 has a crush sleeve.

dana 30's don't need a case spreader. D44's and larger do.
pinion markings have been disappearing. Yukon no longer has em on many gears. but knowing the correct starting shim helps alot. pinion depth tools I've never liked. because some gear mfg's show a +/- and others show actuall setup depth. learning to read the pattern is more important that having the tool to check BL. I have a dial indicator but haven't used it in over a year. The pattern will tell you if BL is off. when you installed your first 50 or so gears youll learn the "feelings". you know when the bl is to tight or loose. You know before youve even run the marking compound through, if its gonna be a good pattern cause there is a feeling, you can feel the smoothness in the gears when pushing them through.
I only use a shop press to remove and install the pinion bearing. I have a clamshell bearing puller for the carrier bearings and I use a large aluminum driver for pressing the bearings back on. goes faster.

you can do alot without the bearing pullers. just have to have the press and the bearing splitter to do the work for you.
I never went to school. I taught myself how to set up gears cuz I didn't want to pay the $350-$500 that local shops wanted.
Did a couple for some friends and found that I was pretty good at it. Here I am 4 years later still setting up gears in my freetime.
good thing I prefer not to fawk up...

Rawbrown said:
pinion markings have been disappearing. Yukon no longer has em on many gears. but knowing the correct starting shim helps alot. pinion depth tools I've never liked. because some gear mfg's show a +/- and others show actuall setup depth. learning to read the pattern is more important that having the tool to check BL. I have a dial indicator but haven't used it in over a year. The pattern will tell you if BL is off. when you installed your first 50 or so gears youll learn the "feelings". you know when the bl is to tight or loose. You know before youve even run the marking compound through, if its gonna be a good pattern cause there is a feeling, you can feel the smoothness in the gears when pushing them through.
I only use a shop press to remove and install the pinion bearing. I have a clamshell bearing puller for the carrier bearings and I use a large aluminum driver for pressing the bearings back on. goes faster.

you can do alot without the bearing pullers. just have to have the press and the bearing splitter to do the work for you.
I never went to school. I taught myself how to set up gears cuz I didn't want to pay the $350-$500 that local shops wanted.
Did a couple for some friends and found that I was pretty good at it. Here I am 4 years later still setting up gears in my freetime.

I agree (and regularly do) everything you said, but do you think it's reasonable to expect that someone who has never done a gear set-up to be able to get the backlash right by "feel" and pattern (I've found that most people who haven't set up gears don't understand patterns at all)? To know if it's going to be a good pattern before using the marking compound?

"Feel" and "shortcuts" are best left to the experienced gear person who has already had to stand behind many gear set-ups;)

Rawbrown said:

Ill be in CA next week... clear your work bench... both my axles are on their way.

and I was thinking about that this morning...
get a harbor freight dial indicator and mag base. its cheap and will do the job for a while.
a good set of dial calipers is a must however so that you can measure shims.
a bar type inch pound torque wrench is also a must.

I've had guys drive pretty far for me to setup their gears. From Vegas, Sacramento and phoenix. but S> Carolina... thats a hell of a drive just for gears.:wave1:

Back