• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

manual hub conversions

jcbsr1

NAXJA Forum User
i am in the process of eliminating the vaccum for the 4x4 and putting in a one piece shaft and would like to have manual hubs.do i have to buy the hub conversion kits or can i just buy a set of manual hubs and throw in?

im not positve but im pretty sure that you have to buy the whole conversion kit, beacuse the d30s have the hub bearings so i think you have to change all that which you can get in the conversion kits

It's even cheaper to put a disco 30 and manual posi cable. Not sure why you would instead of a 44. If you just wanna stop turnin ur drive shaft when you're in 2HI just do the Disco 30.

One piece shafts will be a direct replacement for the two piece shafts. You need to get an axle seal to put inside the driver's side of the "disconnect box" to seal the housing. It's easy to do, but I don't have the seal's part number. Maybe someone else can chime in and get it for you. No other modifications should be necessary, except for plugging off the vacuum lines coming from the transfer case and removing the shift fork. You shouldn't feel any adverse effects from the swap. Some people have had issues when using a locker up front, but I had none on my non-disconnect axle w/Easy-Locker in my '94.

there is nothing wrong with useing a hub conversion. i wouldnt buy a new one because they are way over priced. i got mine used with a fairly new pair of rotors that were allready machined for the larger hub and an extra warn outer shaft for 250.

On the original Heep I had a disco axle....then I geared it....then added a locker....then the front shaft ran all the time....vibes...(this is a 85 model 4 banger...the front shaft is very short...25" )....did I say vibes??? VIBES!!....make your mirrors fall off vibes....new shaft...300 bux....slightly less vibes....chased caster all over....on the Heep...no vibes = D.W. .....add caster back.....vibes. Relegated to trail rig only....if I have to drive it on road for any distance, I pull the front shaft.

Decided to lift and jazz up the mighty MJ #1.....6" lift, 33's, 8.8 rear, alloy this, super that....the front axle got a new manual hub kit....expensive? yes, smart? maybe/maybe not.....but guess what friends???..... NO VIBES!!!

X2 Mike also have the hubs and I do like them. I have a two low option and can do rear digs, would have never paid the price to do it I just paid the price to get the heep with them already on it.

KarlVP said:
It is NOT worth it for the hub conversion kit.

For the price of the conversion kit, you could put a D44 in your Jeep.
Ditto, for the $1K I spent on the hub kit I could've thrown in a junkyard D44 instead, gotten some alloy axles, thrown some fat 37's on there.

Back