• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

durable am fm antenna upgrade?

marnco

NAXJA Forum User
So my FM antenna ripped off today on what was otherwise a nice Sunday ride on Sugarloaf Mountain Road. I had a nice 12 or 18 inch floppy rubber antenna. Now that it's ripped in half, it looks like it was more flash than function - couldn't find any metal in it:exclamati I have searched the internet for replacement antennas and found nothing that would appear to work. Anyone have an idea who makes a functional 12 or 18 inch stubby and where to get one?

Here's my existing mount on my 95 XJ Country 4.0L 4x4:

antenna.jpg

dis-flamer: My searches only brought up CB antenna threads, which although perfect for future upgrades, doesn't resolve my current f-up.

If you have a cb antenna, Firestick now sells a adapter to hook your am/fm into the CB antenna. That may not help your situation, don't know.

I'll post a link.

That's interesting...I don't have a cb antenna right now, but it might be the right time to upgrade. Are there any that would mount to my 'old' FM antenna threads?

I found, bought and like the internal, electric amplified antenna box, about a 4"x1"x1" hide a way in the dash antenna, that I used to replace my busted antenna. I bought it online, I think it was www.crutchfield.com. Check Google for antenna and crutchfield if the url is wrong. I think they had an Ebay store too for radio/CD players and antennas. They have both kind of antennas, hundreds of antenna models listed online. I paid about $30 for my internal one, and it saved me the hassle of pulling a tire and or a side panel to get the old antenna mount out and new one in.

marnco said:
That's interesting...I don't have a cb antenna right now, but it might be the right time to upgrade. Are there any that would mount to my 'old' FM antenna threads?

You can put a CB antenna in place of the radio antenna but you will need to use a CB antenna stud mount and co-ax, the radio antenna mount will not work for a CB transmitter.

Its been done on here and it makes a trick looking set up!

I think it's time to go through with the AM/FM to CB/AM/FM conversion. My FM reception was nil to begin with (probably on account of the solid rubber "performance" antenna). If needed, I'll boost it with the electric antenna (thanks Ecomike).

Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it, especially for something so minor.

I want the antenna to be installed by an experienced individual for trim and tuning sake. I'm new around here - any of you guys know a cb install shop in Boulder? :)

From the looks of that picture, you have major corrosion on that Jeep. If you had poor reception with the old antenna it might have lost the ground. When I installed my electric amplified antenna it worked great until I started the engine, then it had terrible noise. What was strange was I had a diesel. Turned out all I needed to do was add a good solid ground to the radio case itself and all the noise was gone!

Well, I think most of the corrosion-looking stuff in the picture is of my stylish Colorado mud-job to cover up the primer showing through my worn paint job on the hood, roof and fenders.

New paint is my next major project on "Sherman" once I get the exhaust system sorted. I think I smell mild exhaust fumes under the hood, which I assume is a simple sign of a cracked header/manifold (I think I may even see a crack). At 120K, right after major engine work and a new cooling system it's probably not a bad idea to replace the cat and pipes methinks. Or I guess I could slather on some JB Weld and opt for fresh duds.

Anyway, I think it's more abrasion than corrosion, but you are absolutely right I need to mind the ground. A little sanding or grinding the hole to make sure the mount contacts steel? Say, is the OEM fender antenna mount hole 1/2" or what? That would make it a relatively clean stud mount swap...

Back