• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rhinolining Bumpers?

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody had their bumpers Rhinolined? I'm thinking that maybe having the upper half of my '98 Limited's stock rear bumper "lined" since it getting some scratches fron pulling cargo in and out of the back. I'll post some pics to show what I mean!

Stock and a little better than it is now;
HPIM11022.jpg

Poorly altered demonstration pic
HPIM11022postlining.jpg

I was also wonder what the cost of such work would be and if you drove your vehicles around without a rear bumper in the mean time.

On the first factory rear bumper that was on my '96 I went to the auto parts store and got several cans of the undercoating stuff and put a few layers on it. Cheaper than the Rhino Lining, smoother, and if something does take a chunk out of it you simply spray on some more.Unless of course its a Mercedes that takes a chunk out of it as was my case.

xjhiker said:
On the first factory rear bumper that was on my '96 I went to the auto parts store and got several cans of the undercoating stuff and put a few layers on it. Cheaper than the Rhino Lining, smoother, and if something does take a chunk out of it you simply spray on some more.Unless of course its a Mercedes that takes a chunk out of it as was my case.

what he said, and nice MS Paint pubes on yur bumper :thumbup:

I rolled on Hurculiner on mine,
ff1-1.jpg

I did my aftermarket front and rear bumpers in Line-X probably a good 7 years ago and still am happy with the end result. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. If you don't mind a little elbow grease, I would go for it.

"MY BACkGROUND" I worked in a rhino linings shop for over 3 years(1.5+ where as a sprayer). I have seen numerous products that have turned out fantastic and I have seen many that should have not been sprayed with anything permanent. Spray on bed liners are a fantastic thing when used for the right use. What I am saying is if you get it sprayed professionally understand it is a pain to touch up if you chip it. Make sure your dealer is no newcomer and that they have a warranty you can call upon.

In summary if you plan to just a slide mild things on it the spray it. If you plan to beet it then cheep out and do it your self.

I have nothing against Rhino Liner, just think it's good for truck beds and not for bumpers.:) Just the texture, thickness and rubbery feel doesn't seem right. A lot of customers have used Herculiner or Durabak and are happy with the results. But the ones I've seen that were done with Line-X :clap: very nice. There's one guy that coated his rails with it and still hasn't had to do a touch up.

AJsArmor said:
I have nothing against Rhino Liner, just think it's good for truck beds and not for bumpers.:) Just the texture, thickness and rubbery feel doesn't seem right. A lot of customers have used Herculiner or Durabak and are happy with the results. But the ones I've seen that were done with Line-X :clap: very nice. There's one guy that coated his rails with it and still hasn't had to do a touch up.

Did my RR with herculiner and touched it up with semi-gless black rattle can, they are now smooth on the bottom but give me good tracktion when I need to get stuff off the top of the rig

Did that to mine with hurculiner or the exact same reason. Before I replaced the factory bumper it was scratched up from loadin and unloading stuff. The dog getting in and out didn't help either. So when I painted the new bumper I decided to Hurculine the top part to prevent this in the future. Kind of hard to tell in the picture, but inside the tepped area is the hurculiner.
hurculinedrear.jpg

So far it still looks good, but it's only been on for a couple months.

As a side note,
Pep Boys has the gallon hurculiner kits on sale for $69.00 this week. Cheapest I've seen it.

slcpunk74 said:
"MY BACkGROUND" I worked in a rhino linings shop for over 3 years(1.5+ where as a sprayer). I have seen numerous products that have turned out fantastic and I have seen many that should have not been sprayed with anything permanent. Spray on bed liners are a fantastic thing when used for the right use. What I am saying is if you get it sprayed professionally understand it is a pain to touch up if you chip it. Make sure your dealer is no newcomer and that they have a warranty you can call upon.

In summary if you plan to just a slide mild things on it the spray it. If you plan to beet it then cheep out and do it your self.

Can the stuff be color matched too? I figure when it comes to abuse that if it gets hit hard enough to hurt the bumper, I'd replace the whole stamping if the truck doesn't get written off. There is a place about a half hour from me that does the work and their website made it sound like they've been at it from day one too as well as!

my xj just came from the rhino lining shop, the took everything from inside
all my floor from the inside its awesome, from front to back check it out.
IMG00021.jpg

carpets on a jeep are like a rust cancer cuz of the humidity, i took al my carpet. i love my xj man.

IMG00017.jpg

Back