• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil plug gasket replacement?

dutchjeep

NAXJA Forum User
My FSM tells me to replace the gasket on the oil pan plug with each engine oil change. Is that true? Thanks!

I suppose it's true the FSM says to replace it ( ;) ), but it's unnecessary unless it's worn. I'd be surprised if you can even buy the "gasket" by itself. I thought my friendly dealer parts guy told me you can only buy the plug, which comes with the rubber piece attached.

It's a nice idea, but I know that I haven't replaced one of those gaskets ever, and that means that my 95, for example, has at 261K miles, whatever plug gasket it had at 110K, which is probably what it had at 0K. If the rest of the Jeep leaked as little as that plug does, I'd be a happy camper indeed.

With over 133,000 miles on the clock, I've never replaced mine. Ironically, it's the only seal that hasn't yet leaked on this XJ ...

Back