• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bds longarm suspension

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
happened across this BDS longarm kit today.

http://www.bc4x4.com/inthenews/default.cfm?ID=140

http://www.bds-suspension.com/kits/455H

Its a 4-link, with both the LCAs and UCAs mounted to the crossmember. the crossmember itself uses the 4 original stock x-member mounting points, as well as 4 additional ones on the bottom. It then sandwiches the framerails with 2 more mounting points on each side, using crush sleeves. There is also a skid plate that can be bolted to the x-member in 2 places, and to the frame in 2 more, one on the side and one on the bottom.

It uses a drop pitman arm, but no drop trackbar mount for the HD trackbar. Instead, it switches the trackbar mount and steering stabilizer mount using a bracket for the steering stabilizer to adapt it to the trackbar mount and tierod mount.

the LCA mounts do hang below the framerails, but the x-member is all 1/4" steel. The design doesnt require the removal of the OEM LCA mounts, although its suggested.

The kit ONLY works for XJs equipped with an auto and NP231.

If this kit has already been covered, please delete this thread. If not, i thought it might be interesting to discuss the pros and cons of it. It looks like a pretty good kit, as long as you have the requisite equipped XJ. It might not be as well engineered as TNT or clayton, but its another option because its a 4-link instead of a radius arm setup. It also might not be as beefy as full-traction or rockrawler, but it has better clearance than full-traction, and no welding is required as is for rockrawler. That said, i'm leaning more towards TNT because its been around and proven, but this is a viable option.

I think the kit is a bit overpriced, but if you called BDS, maybe you could order just the front end stuff, and either use what you have, or source your own springs, brakelines, etc.

thoughts?

kenny

BDS will sell the front parts seperately. It is a true 4 link like the Full Traction system is. Thats the biggest difference between the T&T, Rusty's or RE long arm/radius arm systems that everyone is comparing it to...

TNT said:
BDS will sell the front parts seperately....

So they will sell the arms and Xmember seperatly? I can do without the rest of the stuff.

Any knowledge on price? Ill have to call tomorrow and ask.

Also, Id cut off the poly bushing on the Xmember side, and add a flex joint, for the LCA's.

Last edited:
91 Jeep Project said:
Thats like comparing a Pinto to a Corvette.

it more lke comparing a mustang to a corvette. under certain conditions and wit appropriate modification a mustang can perform as well as a vette. maybe even outperform. but on the whole and under a wide rane of conditions it just isn't the same thing.

on the other hand a well tuned and modded mustang can be had for LOT less than even a beater vette.

CanMan said:
So they will sell the arms and Xmember seperatly? I can do without the rest of the stuff.

Any knowledge on price? Ill have to call tomorrow and ask.

Also, Id cut off the poly bushing on the Xmember side, and add a flex joint, for the LCA's.

The poly bushing arms can be replaced with an optional arms that has a flex joint.

Optional arms

jk_124654.jpg

Use the part numbers listed in the kit components and enter them in in the order by part number page.

TNT said:
BDS will sell the front parts seperately. It is a true 4 link like the Full Traction system is. Thats the biggest difference between the T&T, Rusty's or RE long arm/radius arm systems that everyone is comparing it to...

i agree that they are different systems, and i like the idea of a true 4 link long arm setup compared to the radius arm setup. but i think the BDS price is high even compared to the FT kit (which i doubt it performs as well as)

-Tim

edit: still $500 cheaper for the FT kit WITH belly pan
http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=PKG-FT-XJ-COMBO

014654 is the "Crossmember Kit" - $311.53

124653 is the "XJ, ZJ Lower Standard Arms" - $304.58

Not sure what comes in the 014653 "XJ 6.5" Long Arm Main Box Kit" - $855.04

CanMan said:
So, P/N 124655 would be the Xmember, arms, and hardware?

Thats listed as the "Long Arm XJ Upgrade Kit" for $397.13. If so, thats pretty cheap for the upgrade.

If the crossmember is just $300, I'd be inclined to just pick up that and have TnT make me some arms for it.

Last edited:
no doubt , im sittin at 6.5" of lift on short arms, and im happy with my springs and steering, i just gotta have long arms at this point

thats a badass price (talkin about the LA upgrade, just xmember and arms)

-Tim

I believe thats the price for eveything except the lower arms. They are sold seperately. It's very misleading thou... I think a phone call in the morning should give me the answers.

TNT said:
I believe thats the price for eveything except the lower arms. They are sold seperately. It's very misleading thou... I think a phone call in the morning should give me the answers.

Well, post up your findings, if I don't call before you get to. Not really a big deal, I can make my own lowers. Im just lazy on making the Xmember part of it.

http://www.bds-suspension.com/pdfs/124655.pdf read the parts list on page 2

#124655 PARTS LIST​
Part # Qty Description​
01370 1 Long Arm Crossmember
715 1 Crossmember Bolt Pack
01371 1 Side Support Plate (drv)
01372 1 Side Support Plate (pass)
01377 1 Nut Tab (drv)
01378 1 Nut Tab (pass)
22-1 2 Crush Sleeve
342701 2 Loctite
01373 2 Upper Long Control Arm