• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys 3in

Oh ya. tire wise it has 245/75/16 on it and Forget the wheel backspacing but it rubs slightly at full lock. Figure that might have to be known...

adj. trackbar x2, steering box brace and start saving for new leaf springs. If your leaves are old then they will start to wear out pretty fast with that add a leaf, other than that its a pretty goood kit

Adjustable control arms, and a rear shackle to fix the sag your gonna get from the aal.

Ok, let me ask a question. Say I buy the Rusty's 3" full system, with steering stabilizer upgrade. What would you upgrade first, then second, and so on? I want to do this lift right.

codyyy said:
Ok, let me ask a question. Say I buy the Rusty's 3" full system, with steering stabilizer upgrade. What would you upgrade first, then second, and so on? I want to do this lift right.

I would upgrade to a RE lift kit. ;)

Sway bar discos, shackle, steering, another set of stock leafs, adjustable CA's, ect...

I don't have a lift right now. I like how the Rusty's kit comes with shocks and is nicely priced, however it doesn't come with LCAs or anything to fix the trackbar.

codyyy said:
I don't have a lift right now. I like how the Rusty's kit comes with shocks and is nicely priced, however it doesn't come with LCAs or anything to fix the trackbar.

You've been teeter tottering on this for a few weeks now bite the bullet and order it.

Get JKS quicker disconnects. And maybe think about some LCAs

JKS adj trackbar, and JKS discos, and a YJ brake line in the back are all youre gonna need besides the lift. Aftermarket LCAs need not apply.

IMG_0689.jpg

I completely removed the front and rear sway bars on my 87 with a 5.5" lift. It had discos for the front. when I disconnected them it didn't affect city driving much, so I just unbolted the whole thing and got rid of it.

I'm looking at the Rusty's 4.5" lift kid with rear leafs right now. I already have a dropped pitman arm and I don't want any shackles or sway bar stuff. So it has everything I need. The RE lift just has way more then I want, at a price that is higher then I want.

screw discos, not needed.

Adjustable tracbar is a good idea. Go with TnT or RE, get the expensive ones, they're worth it. I like rustys lifts, great springs.

You don't need to get an upgraded steering stabilizer...waste of money IMO, until it wears out. Stock one should do fine though if you're aligned and have balanced tires.

You'll need a stronger tie rod. The stock one is junk.

Better shocks...any shock that comes in a lift "kit," unless you get the upgraded shocks, isn't going to be that great. OME, bilsteins, etc. They're pricey though.

Time for lockers. They're better than bigger tires!

Skids...goes without saying, should be first on the list. Rock rails are a good thing!

el_roy1985 said:
I completely removed the front and rear sway bars on my 87 with a 5.5" lift. It had discos for the front. when I disconnected them it didn't affect city driving much, so I just unbolted the whole thing and got rid of it.

I'm looking at the Rusty's 4.5" lift kid with rear leafs right now. I already have a dropped pitman arm and I don't want any shackles or sway bar stuff. So it has everything I need. The RE lift just has way more then I want, at a price that is higher then I want.

You have fun dodging a deer with no sway bars... You're gunna die prematurely.

lowrange2 said:
You have fun dodging a deer with no sway bars... You're gunna die prematurely.

Why would I try to dodge a deer?

The steering response is still surprisingly good. So I don't see why it would cause a problem. Although maybe it's just my suspension setup. I'll see what happens on my next XJ in a few weeks here when I get it lifted.

Last edited:
el_roy1985 said:
Why would I try to dodge a deer?

The steering response is still surprisingly good. So I don't see why it would cause a problem. Although maybe it's just my suspension setup. I'll see what happens on my next XJ in a few weeks here when I get it lifted.

deer like to run across highways and interstates if you havent noticed.

the incresed Body roll is what you need to worry about. not the steering responce. i had to take a corner pretty fast the other day, and if i hadnt had the sway bars....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

only i wouldnt have been smiling. i would have had a totaled jeep in my driveway.

...stickers

85xj4dr said:
deer like to run across highways and interstates if you havent noticed.

the incresed Body roll is what you need to worry about. not the steering responce. i had to take a corner pretty fast the other day, and if i hadnt had the sway bars....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

only i wouldnt have been smiling. i would have had a totaled jeep in my driveway.

I know they like to cross the road. Although if I'm driving my Jeep, I think I'd rather just plow into him instead of trying to swerve around. With the bumper I have and the lift, I don't think he'll be doing much damage. :D

Oh, and I generally didn't travel much over 45 with that XJ.

Back