• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I buy this XJ??? (kinda long)

gone postal

NAXJA Forum User
Found a '98 4x4 Sport nearby w/ 132k for $3600. Everything works except for the driver's window - broke after ad placed, so he said the price could be negotiated. Anyway, here's the story:

It's owned by a 16yr - first vehicle - just turned 16 in March. He found a truck at a local dealership that he really wants, so he needs to sell this first. I didn't talk to him, but talked to his dad for 20 minutes. His dad actually owns a small dealership and bought this at auction (it was a repo) and had a cracked radiator and blown head gasket. He then bought a totalled out '99 Up Country (possibly Limited? - not sure if the UP was a '99 option, but he said it was 2WD and fully loaded - leather, etc). It had 74k on it and was owned by an ederly couple (found registration, etc in glove box). The father then had a mechanic that works for him swap the "new" motor in. In the process, all seals were replaced - front, rear main, valve cover along w/ new water pump & radiator, complete tune-up, etc. The rest of the '98 drivetrain remains.

The son has had this since March and has put a few thousand on it - never offroads - his father just wanted him to have a reliable vehicle since he commutes for dual enrollment classes at a nearby college which is a 45 mile roundtrip.

His father is really against his son selling this b/c he thinks it's a huge mistake - plus he could get a 4x4 truck from auction, but the one his son found is "the exact one he wants".

It sounds like a solid vehicle for the price and it'd become my DD, but I'm just worried about the previous overheating issue. Obviously the new motor isn't affected, but would it have negatively affected the tranny? I'd imagine it'd run hotter if the motor was hot and is the tranny cooler in the radiator or seperate? Anything else I should worry about? What exactly should I look for? I'll obviously listen for odd noises, look for leaks, check dipstick and in valve cover for signs of overheating, but not sure what else. If the previous owner let it get so bad that it blew a head gasket, I'm sure regular maintenance sucked - that's what really worries me.

$3600 sounds like a good price, I'd shoot for around 3200 or 3300. Window motors/regulators are easy in an XJ. Check the tranny fluid, smell it to make sure it's not burned. Pull the seat belts all the way out and look for mold/mildew to see if it was ever submerged.

Well, just waiting for the guy to get back w/ me to see if I can check it out today. I'm shooting for the $3200-3300 range b/c I found the window regulator kit was $180-ish although I'd probably just do the $40 fix found on Ebay. I know the AW4 is a strong unit, so I'm not too worried about it. Good tip on the seatbelts - never thoght of that before, but I know it does have a clear title which doesn't really mean anything, but it's a plus nonetheless.

Doesnt sound like a bad price, but just remember that you are dealing with a used car salesman. I've met some of these guys that can spin yarn like a spider...I always take whatever they say with a grain of salt. The "elderly couple" is a nice touch, and being "against the sale" is also a good one. Maybe I'm too skeptical?

No, my same thoughts too. I also thought they'd have more into it than $3300-ish considering the work that is done (there are also new brakes & tires). I called twice today and got a hold of him the second time and he was out riding w/ a group - his "Sunday thing". Said he'd call back later and I never heard back - I don't like that kind of thing, so this deal very may well be done for...

For what he told you, it certainly sounds like a good deal.....but then again, used car salesmen know all the tricks in the book.

I'd take it for a nice long test drive and keep an eye out for anything that bothers you. Also, check the head casting on the "new motor". If it says 0630, you're gold. If it reads 0331, I'd think twice about it. There's still much debate on whether or not the heads were changed in 1999 or not, but i've yet to see one in a 99 model. The 0331's in the 2000's and 2001's (more so the 2000's) are more prone to cracking than the 0630's....but thats a whole different story.

Check the tranny fluid and see what condition it's in, and take note of how it shifts on your test drive. Don't be afraid to get on it a couple of times to see how everything reacts as well.

If you do decide to purchase it, check out this repair kit that is a fraction of what a new motor/regulator unit costs. I've yet to try this method, but I've got one window thats popping already after only about a year and a half on the so called "improved regulator's" that are at the dealer now (and I paid $100 per regulator unit, times two units (as both front windows have broke). They now go for $200!!)

Appreciate all the tips/advice, but I went w/ my gut feeling and passed on the XJ.

I just bought one today though - I think I did really, really good on the deal considering its condition. 1997 XJ country, white w/ tan interior (my fav. combo), 4x4 of course, 109,8xx miles and got it for $3900. A/C is ice cold, everything works (except typical window switches on all pass. doors) and it's rust free and has an amazing body - minimal scratches and only two nickel sized dents. I'm totally stoked!!!!

As soon as I sell my Camaro, a 3" OME lift is going on and I have a set of new 31" BFG A/Ts going on. Probably just the tip of the iceberg....

Back