• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATF Change

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
I bought nine quarts to change my ATF.
In all write-ups, such as the one on gojeep's website, people mention that they need only four quarts. Am I missing something?
I intend to pry off the pan and change the "filter" and clean the magnets at the same time then reseal it with the NAPA kit I just bought. My manual says that I need approximately nine quarts.
Thanks in advance
P.S. 99XJ...

the easiest way to do it is to measure how much fluid you drain. The nine quarts is the total capacity the trans takes. you will not drain all the fluid out. remember to run thru all the gears when ur done and check the trans fluid while running and hot

Your '99 should have a male-female fitting/coupling visible in the rubber section of the trans return line under the radiator. Simply decouple it, aim into a large pan, and run at idle while quickly adding fluid quart by quart. To flush the full 8+ quart capacity, a good 12-14 quarts..or a few more if you rally want to be thorough... run through will help ensure a fairly complete flush/replacement. Really quite easy to do, and well worth knowing that you got the old stuff out and fresh in.... A helper is good, so you can watch/gauge the output rate vs. your input rate, and have it shut off while you add another quart, as you feel it is needed.

*The return line is the one that comes from (goes to) the rear-most fitting on the trans. on your '99.

That, of course, after a pan-drop, filter replacement, and refill the pan...THEN, the procedure as mentioned above.

Don't use synthetic, as many threads here indicate a high rate of problems/failure, apparently since the AW4 has bronze clutches which don't do well in a synthetic environment. Do not use Valvoline 'Maxlife', either, as it has synthetic base oils even though it is only mentioned in the fine-print on bottle rear...!

Now...getting the pan down and clear can be the fun part...:)

Four quarts, plus or minus, is going to be what you get by draining just out of the tranny pan. By doing that, you are not going to empty the torque converter though...that's the difference between the 4-quart and the 9 or so that you have.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back