• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit Truetrac Locker

robert_tx

NAXJA Forum User
I need some advise on a Detroit Truetrac Locker that I had recently purchased. I was told by a mech. that it would make my front wheels hop when I turned. And by the way it goes in a Dana 30 and that is in my 1992 XJ without the vacuum line, something about it wasn't offered in this year or after. I do however drive this vehicle on the weekends and around town. Is there any truth to this or do I just install it and stop worrying about it?:soapbox: Thanks.

A Detroit Truetrac will be invisible for normal street driving but will deliver extra traction for off road. A Detroit SoftLocker, however, will act as you describe.

Assuming you have a TrueTrac... don't worry, install it, drive it, be happy.

The TrueTrac is a good choice for the front if you do not need a full locker or do not want all of the noise associated with a locker. Remember if you need to engage it you must use the brake some.

I have the TrueTrac in the rear of my trailrig (Aussie in the front) and have been very happy with it, not the top choice for hard wheelin but it gets the job done.

I had a true trac in the front of my MJ 5 speed... had chance to drive it 400 miles with no rear driveshaft (mostly highway using 4 High for front wheel drive) It was mostly seamless... the only couple times it felt wierd was making a sharp turn from a stop -like from a fuel station driveway- on pavement. 399.95 miles of it was with no worries or wierd effects.

dennisgrimm said:
A Detroit Truetrac will be invisible for normal street driving but will deliver extra traction for off road. A Detroit SoftLocker, however, will act as you describe.

Assuming you have a TrueTrac... don't worry, install it, drive it, be happy.

I have a Detroit SoftLocker in the front of my 95 (Dana 30) and I don't have any of those issues while driving on pavement.

robert_tx said:
What do you mean by using the brake? Like to e-brake? or just by tapping?

If you feel one wheel slipping just feather the brake with your left foot, this will engage the LS and you will feel both tires pull on that axle. It doesn't lock up for you like a locker does, you have to make it lock in.

You will get the hang of it after a couple of uses.

Thanks xjtrailrider. I'm also going to install a truetrac in the rear, and it is a dana 35. Hopefully I’ll quit getting stuck on inclines.

robert_tx said:
Thanks xjtrailrider. I'm also going to install a truetrac in the rear, and it is a dana 35. Hopefully I’ll quit getting stuck on inclines.

Thats a good reliable and quiet set-up for a DD/Week End Warrior, enjoy it!

I installed a True trac in my dana 30 on my '92 cherokke and it is completely invisible on the street. It is a great choice for a non disconnect front axle and works well for most off road situations. As far as using the brakes, if one tire gets in the air and the other one stays planted to the ground, the tire in the air will spin like an open diff. However apply a little brake pressure and torque will be delivered to the tire on the ground. Not as strong as a locker but you get the hang of it pretty fast. Combine the True Trac with a rear locker and you will have a very capable rig.

desertrandy said:
I installed a True trac in my dana 30 on my '92 cherokke and it is completely invisible on the street. It is a great choice for a non disconnect front axle and works well for most off road situations. As far as using the brakes, if one tire gets in the air and the other one stays planted to the ground, the tire in the air will spin like an open diff. However apply a little brake pressure and torque will be delivered to the tire on the ground. Not as strong as a locker but you get the hang of it pretty fast. Combine the True Trac with a rear locker and you will have a very capable rig.

Make sure the tire that is spinning slowly when appling the brake to lock the TruTrac. The shock load of a tire spinning too fast can break axles or u-joint when it locks it and has to stop spinning very abruptly. I know they used to recomend 32" tires as a max size for this reason(I think they still do). This has also caused some blown up a diffs when they lock up hard.

I had one for awhile. It was better than an open diff but not by much. Using the brakes works, but don't get carried away is it will never really lock up but it will break u-joints with to much brake pressure LOL. At least thats what I heard ;).

I have since changed to an aussie locker in the front and damn did it make a difference.

TNT said:
I know they used to recomend 32" tires as a max size for this reason(I think they still do). This has also caused some blown up a diffs when they lock up hard.

Detroit has since changed that to 38" tires. I emailed them before I purchased mine. I have one in the front and don't really like it much. Sure its quiet and without any funny handling but you sacrifice the traction a locker is going to give you. I have to apply a lot of break for it to grab. Sure wish I would have went with something else.

I ran a detroit truetrac in a front Dana 44 for years without any issues on the street.

It worked alright offroad, I guess I never had any problems with it but I'd rather run a selectable in the front.

I am running a Trutrac in the front d30 of my DD right now. It was already in the axle when I bought the '30 and i originally intended to sell it, but I've come to like it on the easy trails I take the DD on. Its completely invisible on the road and it does make a difference offroad if you know how to use it effectively. Just my 2cents.

Back