• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch sound(short question)

purvisdotcom

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and I believe my sound must be the pilot bearing. wanted a second opinion.

Start up the 89 MJ, 4.0, BA-10. no sound for 5 seconds or so, then has this deep whining sound that changes with rpms, even in nuetral. Push in the clutch pedal and sound goes away. still can drive it, but sound persists. I just changed the fluid in the tranny and no change. next week I get a free aw4 with NP232 attached. maybe I'll just change out the poo-goat while Im in there already?

Last edited:
poogoat.jpg

Today's inspiration
The delicate poo-goat. gentlest of the french woodland creatures.

have you checked you belt and the pulleys on the belt? I could be wrong, but if the tranny is in neutral the clutch should not be spinning and couldn't make any noise..........and still no 232.

The pilot bearing should be quiet when your not pushing in the clutch. Maybe a noisey tranny input bearing (which, speaking from experience, can be destroyed by a bad pilot bearing)

both of you guys have something there. I checked and the power steering pump is moaning on the belt. it had a missing bolt that was supposed to be holding it in. put one in, and its better, but not completely.

However this sound is separate from the clutch sound. I crawled under and had my brother push in the clutch over and over and I could hear and even visually see the vibration pick up when the pedal is up(not being pushed) even in nuetral

I've never opened up a clutch assembly before so I am sort of clueless as to the parts.

Back