• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fan clutch

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone have directions on how to change em....

when removin it do i have to release the tension on the belt by lossing the belt tensioner... when try to spin the bolts the pulley moves...

It's easy. Leave the belt on. You will have to remove the fan shroud (on some rigs you can just pull it past the fan and on others you have to unbolt the radiator support and lean it forward to allow for enough room). Use a 1/2 inch open end wrench and remove the three nuts that you can see from the top and the last one from the bottom. Sometimes you have to pull and wiggle a little to get the clutch asembly off the shaft and then remove the fan from the old clutch and put it on the new one (make surre you put it on the correct way). Then bolt the new clutch onto the pulley. Little fingers will help alot with this. Then tighten all the nuts a little at a time and then when they are all snug start at the top and tightnen them as much as you can until the pulley turns so the next nut is able to be reached and do this for a couple of rotations until all the nuts are good and tight. Replace the shroud and you're done.
Good Luck!

thank ya... where should i place the screw driver in the fan...will it break a blade? or under the pulley?!

yeah take off the fan shroud and it makes it an easy task. don't loosen or take off the belt. leverage really is your friend on this task. it took me 1/2 hour tops to do.

cstilesiscool said:
yeah take off the fan shroud and it makes it an easy task. don't loosen or take off the belt. leverage really is your friend on this task. it took me 1/2 hour tops to do.

The shroud wont come off without the fan coming with it. At least on my 88 I6 thats the case. I see you have Renix era jeeps too, How was that possible?

ok sop far i have 1 bolt off and it keeps spinnin on me... where do i put the screw driver to make it stp spinnin

i guess i should of pointed out that since the fan shroud is plastic, i went ahead and cut the shroud right down the middle in half on the bottom part since it's held in by a slot on each side. so all i have to do is take off the tops bolts and slide it out from the top with a little maneuvering. when i made my statement i wasn't thinking that i had done that. makes it a ton easier and it hasn't hurt anything doing it. it fastens right back into place with no problems and i've been running it like that for over a year.

cstilesiscool said:
i guess i should of pointed out that since the fan shroud is plastic, i went ahead and cut the shroud right down the middle in half on the bottom part since it's held in by a slot on each side. so all i have to do is take off the tops bolts and slide it out from the top with a little maneuvering. when i made my statement i wasn't thinking that i had done that. makes it a ton easier and it hasn't hurt anything doing it. it fastens right back into place with no problems and i've been running it like that for over a year.

Ok, I knew something smelled fishy.But hot damn thats a great idea. I think I will steal your idea. Its always a pain in the ass having to deal with the shroud while unbolting the fan clutch.

blackdoutxj said:
ok sop far i have 1 bolt off and it keeps spinnin on me... where do i put the screw driver to make it stp spinnin

I have never had to use a screwdriver. Just tighten the belt up real tight, so it wont slip. When breaking the nuts loose it helps to use quick torq as I will call it. Like an impact driver but with your hand. If you just try to pull on the wrench gradually it will spin. Bloody knuckles are cool.

thats the thing the pulley is spinnin not the belt...

ahhh dam..well i did it the hard way with a screw driver... i finished about an hour and a half ago and everything seems to be woring....i hear the fan more when im driving...THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP:D!

Back