• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high idle, IAC?

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
89 jeeps idling at 3,000 rpm. wiggled the TPS around with no change, plugged the hole for the IAC with my thumb and it went to normal, cleaned it out with carb cleaner and no change, you think I'm safe to bet the IAC went TU?

Vacuum leak, at 3000 RPM it is a major leak. You can plug off all the vacuum lines except the MAP, for a test.
TPS, unplug it and see what the idle does.
IAC, behind the piston is where it sticks about half the time, spray a little oil behind the piston/plunger. Don't try to move or remove the piston (this can strip the gears). Don't try any power with the IAC removed/dismounted (this will launch your piston).
Manifold bolts or even the TB bolts.
My idle went up to around 3000 recently after a motor wash, it was a wet TPS. I also found a ground problem with the TPS, though I don't think this was a factor, with the high idle.

I seriously doubt it's a vac leak as it's not a constant thing, it'll start and idle high and sometimes kick back to normal after a few minutes, sometimes not. Again plugging the IAC passage with my thumb returns it to normal.

Back