• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 XJ reving itself, please confirm my suspision....

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 4.0 AW4 4x4 XJ with 92400 miles.

January of '06 I went wheeling through some deep water which messed up my TPS bad after it had dried out. At that time it was replaced by my mechanic with a factory sensor. At this time my jeep had 84,000 miles on it, so it was only 8,000 miles old.

The past week I have noticed my rig intermittantly reving itself up a bit while idling. This afternoon it took a turn for the worse. Starting up it'll rev to 2k, then bounce around for the next 5 minutes. Keep in mind this is intermittant and will not act like this 100% of the time.

At first I suspected a vacuum leak, but I was unable to find any. All of my vacuum lines are in good operating condition, many are less than 2 years old. After some further investigation, I discovered when I wiggle or apply pressure to the connected TPS with my jeep running, it will make the idle start bouncing around identically to when it does it on it's own.

Does it sound like my TPS is going (only 1.5 year 8k miles old), or is there another underlying problem I've yet to discover?

Also can someone please expain how I check my TPS with a multimeter ($3.00 habor freight kind).

Thanks!

Last edited:
It could be the tps, however I would first suspect the iac is sticking. Try some seafoam in the tb and watch all the black smoke. Then put some seafoam in the tank and give it 100 or 200 miles and see how it is doing before throwing money at other sensors.

Back