• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 Cherokee Sport, need info.

el_roy1985

NAXJA Forum User
I just got back from test driving it. The body and interior are in excellent condition. Very minimal rust and the rust it does have is only surface rust on parts that don't affect the integrity of the vehicle itself.

I forgot to check what axles it has. I'm hoping it has a non-disco front (anyone know what the chances are?) and I'm assuming it will be the D30? As far as the rear axle goes, what were they available with? I have a D44 if I need something stronger, although it would be nice to be able to leave the factory axles in for at least a little while.

Specs:

$1800
150,000miles
auto (without "power" switch, is this good or bad?)
Command-trac (I have selec-trac right now, is command stronger?)

Those are the things that matter most to me, so is there anything else I should look for on it that I'm overlooking? I don't know much about the newer Jeeps, I just don't want to get myself into a Jeep that is going to cause problems when it comes to wanting to wheel it.

I have an 87 right now but it's far beyond repair and getting somewhat unsafe to drive. So I will be taking all the stuff off that I can use and build a more reliable rig that I'm not scared to drive further then about 10 miles out of town. So I know a lot about what makes my 87 tick, I just don't know what kind of changes they did because I've never really thought about researching other years of Xjs. So all info will be GREATLY appreciated.

Also I will probably be purchasing it in the next day or two if I have nothing to worry about as far as the drive-train. I want to stop driving my 87 as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Jason

I switched from an 87 to a 95 a few years ago. My stepson had a 93, and my son also has a 96, so I've gotten fairly well acquainted with that year as well.

It will definitely be a non-disco front axle, and unless it has ABS, it will likely have a Chrysler 8.25 in the rear. The power/comfort switch was dropped because it turned out not to produce much economy gain. You probably won't miss it. 96 is a transition year. It's the first year of the later style driveshaft, which some people find more prone to vibrating, and of the later style belt routing, which is a definite improvement. It also has OBDII and OBDI diagnostics at the same time, which is kind of neat. Otherwise, it's more like the 91-95 than like the 97-up. You'll find the brakes better than the 87 (assuming they're working right) and the steering less boosted. The HO version of the 4.0 engine is supposed to be a little more powerful, but the 87 had lots of torque, so it all ends up pretty close to the same. The cooling system is a little less finicky. The air conditioning uses R-134, a definite plus if the air is functional at all.

If you're used to the controls on the 87 you may find those on the 96 a little annoying. I have never liked the steering wheel and column controls on my 95, but it's not a deal breaker. I also never have had seats as nice as the ones on my 87, and you'll probably miss them a bit, but the later ones are all right.

edit to add: I've never had selec-trac, so can't say on that, but command is fine.

It does have ABS, so what does that mean as far as the axles go? The 8.25 in the 96 would be a 27 spline correct? My plan is to hold on to my axles from the 87 and eventually put them on the 96 after I put new bearings in the rear along with seals. They have 4.56 gears and a lock-rite in the rear so that is another reason I want to keep them.

I have an SYE setup in my 87. So since the driveshaft is different will I not be able to switch it over?

I didn't really notice any difference in controls, although I only drove it for about 10-15 minutes. As far as I could tell everything was pretty much the same except this one has a cup holder!

This one also has the speakers in the back mounted on the ceiling, which is something I really liked.

As far as seats go, I have aftermarket buckets that are on a custom frame that sits them higher for better view. So hopefully the mounting is the same.

By any chance will the alternator be the same? I have a 170amp alternator, so I was hoping I could still use that as well.

Other then that, the 96 pulled pretty good when I got on the gas. I didn't know that the HO was in the 96. Another thing I plan to do is build a stroker, although I don't know if I should use the block from my 87 or just find another one. I want to build it while still being able to drive my Jeep.

I'm no expert on SYE's, so I can't answer that. You'd probably get all the info you need on that from the modified forum. Same with the stroker.

The alternator will not work, at least without some modification, because the later models have the voltage regulator in the engine computer. At the very least you'd have to rewire your alternator to eliminate the regulator, and to provide the correct wiring connections, something that probably could be done, but I really don't know how practical it is.

The control difference is minor, but I don't like the horn buttons and often find that when I'm in a hurry using the signal stalk I accidentally hit the windshield washer. The intermittent wiper switch has fewer steps, too.

It sounds like a pretty reasonable deal, though.

Since the vehicle you are looking at has ABS this doesn't apply, but....

A '96 8.25 could have 27 or 29 spline axles.

Ok.

Cherokee with ABS has the D35, i'm afraid. Only Non-ABS has 8.25.

Command trac is better than selec for serious offroad - for one thing, it has better ground clearance. The selec-trac is great if you're in an area with icy roads though.

96 is a pretty good year, i'd say... does have a few unique parts which might be a pain to replace (clockspring, steering column). Interiorwise I love everything about the 96 except its blocky airbag-equipped steering wheel. The later models were far more cramped.

150k is NOTHING for one of these - my 99 still feels brand new at 129k.

Inspect the U-joints in the driveline for grease, if they are bone dry be careful as this is a strong indicator of shoddy maintenance.

Later XJ's were simply fixed in "power" mode - "comfort" just used the bands more heavily - in other words, faster wear. No worries there, the AW4 is rock solid providing the right fluid (dexron) is used.

Remember to make sure it goes into 4wd nicely before you buy. HTH,joe.

darjevon said:
Ok.

Cherokee with ABS has the D35, i'm afraid. Only Non-ABS has 8.25.

Command trac is better than selec for serious offroad - for one thing, it has better ground clearance. The selec-trac is great if you're in an area with icy roads though.

96 is a pretty good year, i'd say... does have a few unique parts which might be a pain to replace (clockspring, steering column). Interiorwise I love everything about the 96 except its blocky airbag-equipped steering wheel. The later models were far more cramped.

150k is NOTHING for one of these - my 99 still feels brand new at 129k.

Inspect the U-joints in the driveline for grease, if they are bone dry be careful as this is a strong indicator of shoddy maintenance.

Later XJ's were simply fixed in "power" mode - "comfort" just used the bands more heavily - in other words, faster wear. No worries there, the AW4 is rock solid providing the right fluid (dexron) is used.

Remember to make sure it goes into 4wd nicely before you buy. HTH,joe.

I would make one exception here: the original driveshaft u-joints on this vintage have no grease fittings, so don't expect grease to be showing on them. Do, however, eyeball the steering linkage and the upper ball joints for signs of occasional maintenance.

Back