• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another a/c question

Fourxfour79

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I've read a bunch of threads on here but can't figure out the problem with my 94xj 4.0. The a/c won't blow cold. The clutch does engage the compressor and the coolant pressure is good. It just doesn't blow cold. I read a bit about clogs in the lines and wonder if that sounds like the prob. One of the lines is very hot (can only touch it for a second or two), and the other is pretty warm too. Any ideas?

On a running A/C system, you have a low side and a high side. The low side should run around 35psi...depending on air temp and the high side should run around 200 to 225 psi.

One line will be cold to the touch (low side) and one should be hot to the touch (high side) on a running system. If both are hot, and the compressor is working, you either have a stoppage somewhere or the compressor is shot.

Using proper gauges and with training, you can usually figure out from the pressure readings what is going on.

If you were low on freon, the low pressure switch would not allow the clutch to engage the compressor, and when pressures are too high, the high pressure switch would also not allo the clutch to engage the compressor.

Good Luck!

Back