• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower Motor Resistor Pack - Thermal Fuse Keeps Melting.

UltimateG

NAXJA Forum User
Hiya,

I've been having a lot of problems with my A/C lately. I keep blowing the thermal fuse in the resistor block, leading to the common problem of having nothing but HI functioning on the fan switch.

I've tried replacing the thermal fuse, and I've even replaced the entire resistor pack a few times. Most recently was yesterday, and it's already dead again.

Everything else in the XJ is apparently fine. The blower motor hums along happily, and everything else in my '94 is in good condition.

What are the causes for this malfunction, and how do I track them down and repair?

I just went through the same scenario with my '93. I finally decided to change out the blower motor which fixed the problem. The motor blew strongly and was quiet most of the time but occasionally made a sort of squawking noise that I did not associate with bearings failing.

Siemens replacement was about $35 at O'Reilly. AZ had exact same part and price but had to order taking several days. I also got a new fan wheel figuring that I would be lucky to get the old one off in one piece.

Don't know if this is your problem but is a fairly inexpensive fix that will probably have to be done some day in any event. Good luck.

I had the same problem on my 96 a few years back. Motor was making some noise, thought it was just turbulence in the vents. After blowing a replacement resistor, I snagged a free blower motor from a friend out of his 89. I was going to just use his motor, but I was afraid to break off the fan part, so I used the whole assembly. I think that the bearings/bushings or whatever had worn out on mine. I've talked to people who have drilled a little hole and put some oil in there...but I got one that worked for free. That was 2-3 years ago, and I haven't had an issue with the blower or the resistor since.

Hmm... I've never gotten into my blower motor before. Where do you drill this hole for oil? right at it's axle?

Thanx

There are some old threads on this -- probably from a couple of years ago. I think you just drill a hole out a bit from the shaft so that you can insert a spout and dribble some oil down onto the bushing(s), but don't hold me to that. Perhaps someone who has done it will chime in.

Back