• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn Signal Issue (I searched) 2000 XJ 4.0

rebeltruce

NAXJA Forum User
What I came up with in my search is I may have a bad signal flasher.....but..

I have one difference with my problem then I saw in any of the threads I found in my search.

My signals seem to work with the headlights off, with the lights on they give one or two flashes, and stop working. I do hear a clicking sound, just before they stop working. The sound seems to be coming from behind the gauges or somewhere near the steering column. The hazards seem to work with the lights on or off.

I just went out to the truck and did some experimenting before I posted to be sure i wasn't stating incorrectly what was happening and the problem got a bit stranger.

I started the Jeep, turned on the headlights, the signals flashed once or twice and stopped working.

I left the lights on and the motor running and tried the hazards, they worked fine.

Then I tried the signals again and they seemed to work fine.

Turned the truck off and re-did the same test and everything worked fine......WTF?

Rather then the flasher going bad could this be a battery or alt problem? No trouble starteing the Jeep, headlights are nice and bright...no problem with the radio or any other electrical issues.

With the motor running what voltage should I get at the battery if I check it with a volt meter?

Thanks!

rebeltruce said:
What I came up with in my search is I may have a bad signal flasher.....but..

I have one difference with my problem then I saw in any of the threads I found in my search.

My signals seem to work with the headlights off, with the lights on they give one or two flashes, and stop working. I do hear a clicking sound, just before they stop working. The sound seems to be coming from behind the gauges or somewhere near the steering column. The hazards seem to work with the lights on or off.

I just went out to the truck and did some experimenting before I posted to be sure i wasn't stating incorrectly what was happening and the problem got a bit stranger.

I started the Jeep, turned on the headlights, the signals flashed once or twice and stopped working.

I left the lights on and the motor running and tried the hazards, they worked fine.

Then I tried the signals again and they seemed to work fine.

Turned the truck off and re-did the same test and everything worked fine......WTF?

Rather then the flasher going bad could this be a battery or alt problem? No trouble starteing the Jeep, headlights are nice and bright...no problem with the radio or any other electrical issues.

With the motor running what voltage should I get at the battery if I check it with a volt meter?

Thanks!
I almost guarantee you it's a bad flasher 99.9% sure. I just dealt with this on my 1999. Every once in a while it'd flash 9 or 10 times, the next time I tried it it would flash once. Mine did the clicking before it died too. Pull off the knee blocker (or whatever they call it) underneath the steering column, and look up to your left. There is a relay mounted horizontally in the dash, that is your flasher relay. Hope some of this helped.
-Collin

Back