• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

check engine light but no codes on obd?

qwerty247

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

my check engine light came on a few times and now mamged to get an obd connnection using scantool for windows, but its not showing any codes...

is scantool the problem or something else?

any advise appreciated.
thanks

What year? Are you able to get other readings with Scantool?

Hi,

yep getting all the other readings with scantool.
nothing on the fault codes....
could it be that there arent any fault codes thrown when the check engine light came on?

strange??

There are several MIL codes that do not have corresponding DTC (OBD) codes. Yeah, sucks. Anyway, you should be able to retrieve the MIL codes through another method depending on ypur year.

ohhh so are there different codes used on the scantool software than ones on the jeep?

its a 97 model.

i am using an obd2 iso connector with scantool for windows software.

any suggestions on other/better software to use to find the codes?

thanks

There are OBDII codes that everyone uses and every manufacture also has additional codes called MIL
Chances are though you just don't have a code set. something is close to failing but not bad enough to set a code.

The Scantool website says it reads generic as well as manufacturer-specific codes. Are you using the latest version?

yep, using latest version.

just been advised that if the battery is disconected, it will clear any codes?

is that correct?
thats maybe why no codes then?

on this same note,
anyone know what should the os sensors be reading?

i think my sensor maybe faulty, i can check it this way right?

thanks again

My 2K XJ has the check engine light coming on and i used the battery disconnect method as well. That will reset the PCM but if the problem persists it will light up again regardless of how many times you disconnect the battery.

Also if you are trying to get a state inspection sticker (as I am) the machine the stations use shows "Not Ready" which means they can tell that I disconnected it to get rid of the MIL.

Back