• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ or WJ

Hi there i have recently sold my Yj due to emission problems:flamemad: Now im getting back into the cherokees. I had a 89 cherokee laredo that was great offroad but was a horrible ride (very stiff and hurt my back). i had a 3.5 RE lift in it. Since i will be lifting the next rig i was woundering if i should go with a Grand cherokee since it has coils in the back. Im looking at buying either a 97 and up XJ or 95 up grandcherokee I just don't know which one to go for. What would you guys suggest? Any benefits for one over the other?

I sold my 2002 Liberty Renegade (too small) and bought a 2000 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L V-8. Man, that was a nice ride. Towed great, ran smooth, and had plenty of room for the two kids and wife.

I eventually sold that and bought my '99 Cherokee Sport (Old Blue). So far, I think I like my XJ more than any of the other Jeeps, even though they all had their advantages.

If you are going for ride comfort, it will be hard to beat a Grand. If you are looking for personality and upgrade options, then stick to your XJ.

I am now looking for a '98 Grand Cherokee for my kid and I think those earlier models are good and have many interior similarities to the later model Grands and are at a cheaper price.

I too have a RE 3.5" lift on Old Blue, but I love the rough ride and rugged appearance. I miss my old KJ and WJ, but I think I am most fond of my XJ.

Good luck.

WJs are a pain to get set up to perform offroad. We had to weld new lower control arm brackets on the front axle, and add adjustable control arms. The lower control arm mounts on WJs are inboard from where the XJs are, and cause death wobble if you lift them. We also had to move the front axle about 1" forward and do quite a bit of trimming to get the tires to stuff without rubbing. The front axle shaft is a CV design, and will break easily, so that will need to be replaced. We did all of this and still barely fit 265/75R16s. Of course we didn't figure all of this out right away, and we did plenty of research before the lift, but there isn't much information about them to be found. When we put on the lift without moving the axle forward or moving the lower control arms outboard it had death wobble pretty bad and the tires would rub the rear of the front fenders when you turned, even when sitting on level ground.

Redbird013.jpg

Redbird061.jpg

Redbird020.jpg

Trust me. Take it from someone who has modified both XJs and a WJ, Stay away from the WJ if you are wanting to lift it.

What kind of question is that!!! What do you think every one on NA (XJ) A is gunna say! LOL My girl has a WJ... I would never lift one after looking at the suspension... Like dude said the LCA setup is goofy. It works great for a grocery getter but thats all I'd have it for. Good luck! Let us know what you got.

XJ

Awesome thanks for the replys, I had no idea it was such a pain to lift a grandcherokee. I will be looking for a 1997-newer XJ for my DD and trail rig. So far i got a 12,000 pound winch waiting that i picked up brandnew in the box for 435 bucks! (yes it works) Since i am going from a 89 to a 97 can you guys tell me what you know has changed in the years. Like i hear the 8.25 axle has stronger shafts from 95 and up (correct me if im wrong plz). Thanks again, John

Re: XJ

Johnnybegood_5 said:
Awesome thanks for the replys, I had no idea it was such a pain to lift a grandcherokee. I will be looking for a 1997-newer XJ for my DD and trail rig. So far i got a 12,000 pound winch waiting that i picked up brandnew in the box for 435 bucks! (yes it works) Since i am going from a 89 to a 97 can you guys tell me what you know has changed in the years. Like i hear the 8.25 axle has stronger shafts from 95 and up (correct me if im wrong plz). Thanks again, John

29 spline yes. there more power in the newer models. upcountry package was offered (1 inch lift).

91 Jeep Project said:
Want something that is cushy and also wheels well. Pick up a ZJ.

5.9 if ya can. It has a dana 44 w/ a limited slip and tons of power.

lancey3 said:
5.9 if ya can. It has a dana 44 w/ a limited slip and tons of power.

1998 1/2 m/y.....best ZJ in my book...5.9L big trans 46re...and like stated above...more than enough power.

Justin

Re: XJ or ZJ

Woops:doh: I posted wrong i ment ZJ i thought the Grand cherokees where called WJs not ZJs ....at least in the year im going for.....Sorry about that. So is lifting a ZJ still a pain? If not what are my options of a SYE for one? From what i have seen only the 231 TC has a SYE that i am able to buy.....I also hear the transmission in them behind the 5.2L isn't the best?

Last edited:
Re: XJ or ZJ

Johnnybegood_5 said:
Woops:doh: I posted wrong i ment ZJ i thought the Grand cherokees where called WJs not ZJs ....at least in the year im going for.....Sorry about that. So is lifting a ZJ still a pain? If not what are my options of a SYE for one? From what i have seen only the 231 TC has a SYE that i am able to buy.....I also hear the transmission in them behind the 5.2L isn't the best?
Hahahaha that changes everything. ZJ's have alot of aftermarket support as well. And yeah they put a weird transmission in the ones with the 5.2. AW4 is much better. Lifting them isnt a pain. RE has NP242 SYE + TW CV Shaft ($889.95)

BTW how much lift are you going for?

haha thanks man, I'm going for at least 4.5 inchs for now on 33s...i'd like to go 6 inchs if i can find a good kit. I'd go for the 5.2L for the power and apparently u get better mpg. Don't really care about mpg but what kinda problems will i run into with that tranny:confused:

Johnnybegood_5 said:
haha thanks man, I'm going for at least 4.5 inchs for now on 33s...i'd like to go 6 inchs if i can find a good kit. I'd go for the 5.2L for the power and apparently u get better mpg. Don't really care about mpg but what kinda problems will i run into with that tranny:confused:

If you are looking for a zj shoot for a 97/98 the put a 44re behind them, it's better than the 42re that's behind the 4.0l, but not quite as strong and the 46re.....it's still a good trans. If you buy an erarlier on 93, with a 4.0l they came with an AW4, the early 5.2's came with a 46rh......97/98 is you bet bet if you really want a grand....I say stick with the cherokee...if you want all the bells and whistles look for a limited.

Justin

Alright, good news i found myself a ZJ.

Its a 96 grandcherokee limited with the heavyduty tow package from factory! So 5.2 V8, dana 44 rear, classIV hitch and all the comfy goodies inside:roll:

Can anyone tell me what tranny could be in it? Just woundering since it does have the tow package maybe they put a better one in.

Also does the dana 44 come with a limited slip or posi from factory? I was told it had posi just woundering if it came that way.

Bad thing is it has the AWD and 4LO transfer case.

Johnnybegood_5 said:
Alright, good news i found myself a ZJ.

Its a 96 grandcherokee limited with the heavyduty tow package from factory! So 5.2 V8, dana 44 rear, classIV hitch and all the comfy goodies inside:roll:

Can anyone tell me what tranny could be in it? Just woundering since it does have the tow package maybe they put a better one in.

Also does the dana 44 come with a limited slip or posi from factory? I was told it had posi just woundering if it came that way.

Bad thing is it has the AWD and 4LO transfer case.

its prolly the trak-loc lim slip

its not a locker. its a limited slip it transfers power to the wheel with most traction unlike an open differential which gives power to the wheel with least resistance.

Back