• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

confusing steering wobble

seriousjeep06

NAXJA Forum User
so a month or 2 ago i put a rusty's 3" lift on my 96. in the process i was upgrading to 31's too. i had my 30" tires on just after the lift and at around 50 mph or so, i got a pretty rough wobble. below that speed it was smooth, same with over. while switchin to 31's i had stock 225-75's on and the wobble was gone. once the 31's were mounted the wobble was back! could this have something to do with the trac bar? its all still stock. the whole thing has me just a little confused.

Caster was my problem, but since the it went away with a different set of tires i would check to make sure they are balanced right first.

seriousjeep06 said:
so a month or 2 ago i put a rusty's 3" lift on my 96. in the process i was upgrading to 31's too. i had my 30" tires on just after the lift and at around 50 mph or so, i got a pretty rough wobble. below that speed it was smooth, same with over. while switchin to 31's i had stock 225-75's on and the wobble was gone. once the 31's were mounted the wobble was back! could this have something to do with the trac bar? its all still stock. the whole thing has me just a little confused.
I was at the same-ish height and tire size and had the same problem (wobble at 55, not above or below). Mine was a combo of tire balance and track-bar.

Have the tires balanced and have your alignment set and have the axle aligned with the body while you're at it. My local shop charges $50 to center your front axle, adjust your drag link (straightens your steering wheel), and balance 4 tires and align the front end. Definitely worth it even on the cheapest budget. As poor as I've been its never been worth my time to spend a day of my time doing this when I can drop it off on the weekend and for the price of a bad bar tab have the wobbles gone.

Back