• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EMERGENCY!!! Fuel leak!

jeepercreeperXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've been noticing a gas smell in my garage whenever I parked the jeep. I just figured, its old and a jeep. But when I popped the hood to check my fluids I saw my #4 injector leaking fuel onto my exhaust.

I pulled the fuel rail and cleaned up all the injectors and replaced the 12 O-rings. Bolted it all back up and lo and behold: Still leaking.

The motor doesn't have to be running. Just in ACC position, the fuel system pressurizes and it starts to drip. It looks like its leaking from the top of the injector where it meets the fuel rail.

What could it be???

I need the Jeep to get to work, so I need to get this fixed ASAP!
Thanks

Thanks I just found a thread with a source for cheap Bosch injectors. I think I'll buy a set. I'm just glad that no fires broke out, since I've been smelling gas for over two weeks now.

Also, check the fuel rail very closely. The fuel rail develops hairline cracksat each "tee" junction. It's a pretty common problem, as I had it on my '89.

I'm going to guess you have a Renix and the injectors that are half plastic. Those are notorious for leaking. I personally have not replaced any yet, however when the time comes I plan on using 19# Ford injectors.

I thought I had an injector leak that turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator... Got new injectors, fuel line QDs, FPR & cleaned fuel rail out of that deal :eek: If in doubt, swop it all out.

Also get a spare pair of line QDs... those are like crank sensors, almost mandatory carry-spare junk.

Got my injectors in today. Problem solved. No difference in performance or anything. It just runs and idles smoother now. Too soon to tell if my MPG will improve at all. :peace:

Back