• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wrecked XJ need advice!

CO_crawler

NAXJA Forum User
hey there..........well it happend again. This sucks I have have my TJ totalled and now the XJ got nailed in the rear. I was waiting at a red left turn and it went to green(no arrow) the envoy complete with needless hitch receiver ball pulled up so I let off the brakes pulled up stopped again, GOT RAMMED in the REAR by a DWF COW:twak: HEFFER TYPE. She/IT rammed me and pushed me into the envoys trailer hitch. The damage to the front is to the bumper and slightly to the grill. The rear has the bumper, the hitch, and the driverside unibody underneath is tweaked in the area about 10-12 inches from the rear bumper it is about an inch of mangled steel. The hitch is saggin and I am hearing a CLunking noise when I hit bumps when moving. It is driveable but the unibody and noise are bothering me. What should I do?? Estimates on the carnage?

ONCE again......crawlin slow 'N CO

Sorry to hear about the hit.
What year rig is it? If it's fairly new, or really low miles, have it pulled out. A COMPETENT frame shop can probably pull it back straight.

If it's old, I'd get another body and use the current one for parts.(sorry,..)

Be sure to get a good(read "high") estimate for the cow's insurance co!

Not sure what the insurance is going to do yet. Her adjuster called me and gave me the run around of course. Said he would call back and record my statment but hasnt. He said that he would be calling the lady in front of me to see if she felt two impacts or one and I was like excuse me.....that did NOT happen. And he was like well maybe but I am going to see about that. I am going to try and get the report on monday and if I dont hear from them by then I am 1 calling my own insurance 2 calling hardwood my lawyer. What a B*%$H. Anyway he did say that the car sounds like it will get totalled without him looking at it. That means I have to decide on whether to get another XJ or go back to the TJ that I miss so much.....hmmmm

It's not uncommon for insurance companies to try to pin the blame for the car in front on you. They are trying to minimize the amount that they have to pay out. Make sure that you state the fact that you were already sitting stopped for quite some time before this happened, so it doesnt look like you hit the car in front first. If they give you too much static, you might also tell them about how your "back has been hurting" since the accident. this might help them settle the claim fast. Good Luck !!!

yeah i did go to the doc yesterday and told the guy I already had an appointment and he said that a health adjuster would also be calling then. they need to hurry up the jeep is making terrible noises and I need wheels.

Also, get an estimate from a local body shop that you can trust, to compare with the insurance adjuster's. They can also give you some advice whether its worth repairing or not. Even if they total it, sometimes you can buy it back from them and have it repaired with the rest of the money. discuss this option with the bodyshop if you do want to keep the vehicle. Done this many times for customers...

I'm not 100% sure how true this is, but I've been told an insurance company can't total out your car if you dont want them to (depending on the coverage), as you were paying for insurance on your car as it was, if you press the issue they have to repair it to the condition it was before the accident.

I have not done any fact checking on that one, but it sounds semi plausable. Something to look into at least. Also, never accept their first offer. Even if it sounds reasonable, make sure you've gotten second and third opinions on everything (medical and automotive) before you accept anything.

I have had two cars totaled over the years. Both times the insurance company has ended up coughing up about $1500 more than what they said they would. They just want you to roll over and take it, if you give them some proof of value and do your homework they will pay up.

taking it to the progressive direct so they can do an estimate themselves. I am going to try and get an independent estimate tomorrow. The rear end is making metal on metal noises when I am at full crank turning in the lot. If they do decide to get it fixed anyone know if I can get them to let me put steel bumpers on it even if I have to pay some extra??

I wouldn't try...

my XJ was totalled in December from a T-bone in which I hit a van head-on (their fault) and Though they gave me the option to keep the vehicle, that would have put me in a bad spot. It was *barely* driveable, and frankly, it was a sound financial move to let them just take her and pay me.

Like BlueCuda, I got more tacked onto the settlement when I showed proof of the rebuilt engine and tranny, upgraded susp., etc...Apparently the small suspension didn't count as a lift. whatever. Anyways, I came out on top but its all about backing up your claims and politely but firmly negotiating to get what you deserve to get. Asking for add-ons like that can weaken your negotiations, whether they out-and-out tell you 'no' (most likely) or decide to play along.

Either way, keep us posted!

Tenlow said:
I'm not 100% sure how true this is, but I've been told an insurance company can't total out your car if you dont want them to (depending on the coverage), as you were paying for insurance on your car as it was, if you press the issue they have to repair it to the condition it was before the accident.

I have not done any fact checking on that one, but it sounds semi plausable. Something to look into at least. Also, never accept their first offer. Even if it sounds reasonable, make sure you've gotten second and third opinions on everything (medical and automotive) before you accept anything.

They can total it if they want to . I fought them on my acura and they still total it ,I even said i would pay the difference.

Also if she rear ended you it's her fault.

Good luck. I t-boned a car in Jan (her fault) and didnt get my Jeep until May or June. They tried to low ball me and then hold out thinking I would give in. I ended up having to file a claim with the insurance dept to get a response... I didnt get enough to get another truck of similiar year/mileage, but I still got more than I paid for it. This is the worst time I had dealing with an insurance agency, out of the other 6 wrecks I have had (only first wreck I ever had was my fault)... The easiest time I had was when a large utility company truck rear ended me. Let me keep a rental car for over a month and gave me enough money to buy another truck when mine was still driveable. Its really the luck of the draw but do far it doesnt sound good. I hate dealing with insurance companies... I work for one though.. but I am in the Extended Warranty Dept, not personal auto.. so dont :twak: me...

Back