• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Cherokee Stalling

89CherokeePioneer

NAXJA Forum User
1989 Cherokee Pioneer
153k, 4.0l AW4/Command-Trac 4wd

This problem is intermittent, but happens on almost every drive. It doesn't occur on the highway, that I know of. The car randomly stalls sometimes, occasionally when I get on the gas from a stop light it will buck, and feel like it's going to die. I usually hit the gas a little harder and the car catches itself and goes. Plugs/wires are new, but plugs are autolites. I come from a mainly GM backround, and autolites have a funny way of making some of our engines run like shit. Sometimes.

So, any common problems I can look for? This doesn't always happen, and there are no variables to it. It can do it hot or cold, however it's only done this cold once. And it's 90 degrees around here lately, so I don't know how cold that is but..

Also, are there scanners for these? I *think* I saw two diagnostic ports up near the relay block, I assume they connect there? Don't see what else they'd be for..

The fact that it doesn't happen all the time makes me think the fuel filter, wires, and plugs are all okay, otherwise this would be doing it all the time. Right?

Back