• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8" disc brake questions

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
i picked up a set of Ford Racing Disc Brake kit

there were no instructions that came with it, so i was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction

here are the calipers, they have a hole in the center of them, i have never looked at a set of calipers before

discbrakes001.jpg

discbrakes002.jpg
discbrakes007.jpg

there are different brake pads, on set has a metal clip across the back of it, and the other has a green claw type thing, what do i do with those

discbrakes003.jpg

discbrakes004.jpg

there are also assorted bolts, weird ones, they have rectangular tops, there are two different lengths of those kinds, and there are also gold bolts that have a hex head and matching nuts

discbrakes006.jpg

there are also silver spacer-type things that fit inside the backing plate center hole, but im not sure what they do

can anyone help me out??

That "hole", as you call it, is the piston. The "green claw type thing" goes into said hole.

Maybe you should pay someone to install it for you. ;)

the part with the claw slides into the large hole in the caliper, the other pad clips onto the opposite side, the long bolts hold your calipers to the brackets, the square head ones I believe are your axle retaining bolts for the inners that go flush against the end/tube(3/8-24 fine thread?), and the others with matching nuts go on the outer retainers(the 4-holes in your backing plates and on the axle tube ends). Not 100% sure but they look just like the explorer units i just installed.

i got the pads on and i think i can figure out how to get it attached to the backing plate, but what is the axle retaining bolt?? whats it do??

there are already four bolts that attach the backing plate to the axle tubes, so they have to be for something else

What does the front of your Jeep look like? If i see it i'm gettin' the hell out of the way! If you don't know how to install pads on a caliper you shouldn't be working on your own car! PAY SOMEONE BRO!

scottmcneal said:
Put down the brakes an back away, you need some one to help you.. Find a jeeper in your area to help that knows about brakes...

X2.

You really should get some advice on this one. Sounds like you are a little inexperienced to be taking on your brake job alone. Find someone who can give you a hand & you can learn how along the way.
It really isnt worth risking the safety of you & others incase you get it wrong.
Goodluck.

dont worry guys im getting some help, i messed around with it for an hour or so, and thought about it, and u guys are right, i should learn how to do it by someone who knows what theyre doing

definetly not going to risk my life or more importantly others on the road

o yeah, front end of the jeep just in case...lol (but no worries)
IMG_4540.jpg

reelbigdundy87 said:
What does the front of your Jeep look like? If i see it i'm gettin' the hell out of the way! If you don't know how to install pads on a caliper you shouldn't be working on your own car! PAY SOMEONE BRO!

just so u know, i can work on my own car, i have installed a couple of lifts, sye's, etc. (at the age of 16) so im not as inexperienced as u all think i am, im not saying i know everything, its that i just dont know shit about brakes...lol

Back