• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cross member bolt

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
well, im puttin a tcase drop on and as many of you probably know on each side there is a regular bolt and then a stud, and the stud is a pain. i'm pretty sure i broke the welded nut that the stud was in up in the frame. any of you guys have experience with that? i'm really dreading what i'm gonna have to do to get this out....is there anything else i can do besides cutting in the frame or the floor?

I cut a 1"x1.5" rectangle in the frame with my angle grinder. It took about 8 seconds. I've wheeled the snot out of it for years since I did, doesnt seem to have caused any structeral problems.

tryin to figure out what im gonna end up doin here...

ksxj, what size hole cutter thing did you use..if you remember??

cal did you cut the hole on the side of the frame facing in or out??

thanks.

gijosiahh said:
well, im puttin a tcase drop on and as many of you probably know on each side there is a regular bolt and then a stud, and the stud is a pain. i'm pretty sure i broke the welded nut that the stud was in up in the frame. any of you guys have experience with that? i'm really dreading what i'm gonna have to do to get this out....is there anything else i can do besides cutting in the frame or the floor?

if you broke the welded nut on the inside of the frame then cut the stud a little shorter and pound it into the frame, then re-thread the hole and use the new hardware that comes with it,

whitetrashxj said:
if you broke the welded nut on the inside of the frame then cut the stud a little shorter and pound it into the frame, then re-thread the hole and use the new hardware that comes with it,

How can you rethread the hole when there is no nut on the inside?

Cant thread into sheetmetal very easily. :rolleyes:

CanMan said:
How can you rethread the hole when there is no nut on the inside?

Cant thread into sheetmetal very easily. :rolleyes:

Oh, you can - just not for anything structural or heavy-duty! That's what "self-tapping" screws are for, but they're just for fastening one panel to another...

5-90 said:
Oh, you can - just not for anything structural or heavy-duty! That's what "self-tapping" screws are for, but they're just for fastening one panel to another...

Never said you couldn't. ;)

Getting actuall threads is next to impossible.

I just figured his suggestion was the 'whitetrash' way of doing it. :D

CanMan said:
Never said you couldn't. ;)

Getting actuall threads is next to impossible.

I just figured his suggestion was the 'whitetrash' way of doing it. :D

Yah - and that's what angle grinders and die grinders are for. I had to do the same thing to relocate my crossmember when I converted from the BA-10/5 to the AX-15.

If you cut a hole anywhere in sheetmetal, be sure you prime and paint the cut edges! Primer helps paint stick, but is itself slightly porous. Leaving the cut edges untreated is just gagging for "body cancer..."

Back