• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hey,

doing a clutch in my 92, 4.0, ax-15...

planning on doing:
Pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch, pressure plate, slave cylender...

possibly surfacing the flywheel if it needs it...

anything else I should plan on doing while im in there?

new tranny mount perhaps?

Other than some break cleaner to make everything shiny, that sounds like about all you could do. Not sure if the tranny mount is nessisary, and its not too hard to replace by itself. Oh if you have not pulled an AX-15 before there are some Torx head bolts on the top of the bell housing, that require a torx socket.
I got a set a sears.

Not clutch related, but there's a freeze plug in the back of the block that you can only get to with the tranny out. Inspect it while you have the flywheel off and replace if necessary.

Here's a shot of it (on my 2.5, but it's the same as a 4.0). It's just a hair past 12:00, partially covered up by the flywheel.

Jeff

AX5clutchandflywheel-1.jpg

The torx bolts at the top are a pain in the butt to get out. You'll probably need a swivel socket head and then the torx bolt with a long extension. As to why they decided using torx bolts in area like that is beyond me.

In regards to resurfacing the flywheel, I don't think you can. They have a natural slant or something to them and I don't think you're able to resurface them on the older XJs. That's what I was told anyway. When I had mine out I just took some fine grit sand paper and cleaned it all up nicely. Worked like a charm (after replacing the Pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch, pressure plate, slave cylender)

After you get the torx bolts out, match them up with a normal bolt, and put those in...next time it will be alot easier.....

Justin

I got lucky on my '88 4.0. I had my flywheel resurfaced without problems.
As I understand it, the trannys with the internal slave cylinder are touchy to changing the distance from the flywheel surface to the throw out bearing. Since you can't adjust the throw on the bearing, too much resurfacing results in a "short throw", and a very low pedal.
Don't know about AX15's with external slave cylinders. If the linkage is not adjustable, I'd be careful with how much I removed from the flywheel; however, be certain your flywheel is not warped (use a dial indicator to check run-out), and the surface is not checked.

Back