• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"another" buying a XJ thread

DenverChiefXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys great website you got going on here....anyway I'm looking at buying my 3rd (91 and a 99) XJ tomorrow and just wanted some input for the masters on here...anyway here is what I know about her

2000 Sport
88K miles
asking price 9K
originally bought in MI and moved to IL as a rental
3 owners (3 yrs, 1.5 and 1.5)
New serpentine belt
New brakes front and rear
New tires
Pass. door misalignment (top of the door towards the back does not seal well, read a few threads about that and it seems bending is the best answer?)
some surface rust on the undercarriage from those salty midwestern roads!
Missing the ash tray and cover
center console lid latch broken (how do people do that?)
donut spare (why would jeep do such a thing?) :smsoap:
engine sounds smooth
tranny shifts well

also the rear windows roll ALL THE WAY down, I thought they were supposed to stop 3/4ths down? and the pass rear window stops just below 3/4ths but if you let off the switch and hit it again it goes all the way down very very slowly. The drivers rear window doesn't act in this manner....anyway

Is there anything I'm missing? Thanks for any help in advance...and here are some pics

2159679545.221883004.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

2159679540.221883004.IM1.09.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Once again thanks for the great BB

I would try to never buy a vehicle that was once a rental... especially a 4WD. Just go to YouTube and search for rental vehicle! Also, I don't know about your area -- I realize that the mileage is very low, but for AL, that price would be about 2X what it should be!

JM2CW
Michael

I bought a single owner '99 with 96K for $4,500 2 years ago. It was in excellent shape. Purchased from a private seller who was asking $5,250. Dealers at the time were asking $6,500 to $7,000 for similar XJ's. I agree with previous post that it's about 2X what you should be paying.

Yea that is way to High! That year goes for no more than 7000 around here.
kelly Blue Book:
Retail; $8,180
PPV; Fair Condition $5,445

jmowens said:
but for AL, that price would be about 2X what it should be!

JM2CW
Michael

:confused: I live in CO which is most likely why

Why is everyone down on the rental? Rentals get good service like police fleet cars do and most likely less abuse

and other than the 0331 issue why should I avoid the 00's?

DenverChiefXJ said:
:confused: I live in CO which is most likely why

Why is everyone down on the rental? Rentals get good service like police fleet cars do and most likely less abuse

and other than the 0331 issue why should I avoid the 00's?

you must be the only person on the face of the earth that takes care of a rental, or believes that other people do. check out youtube on rental cars...!

neutral drops on automatic transmissions are the most common abuse I can think of, it's hell on a stock transmission

Last edited:
Ok man, you are in Denver (car sales capital of Colorado)...these guys can do better than this. Lean on the salesman, play the "rental" card...also, I've never owned one of that vintage, but I hear that they have alot of problems. just my $.02

That is not a good deal. Run away. Run away fast.

Buy from an individual owner. Check Craig's list for your area. It will be cheaper.

Dont buy a previous rental.

Dont buy a 2000 if you have plans to upgrade the Jeep to be a trail-ready rig.

Don't fall for the replaced parts bit, like a "new serpentine belt" or "new brakes." Unless you cannot do simple maintenance stuff yourself, then those items can be changed in a short time for cheap. Serp belts are less than $20 and take a few minutes to install. Same for brake pads.

Take the advice of the previous replys to this thread.

I bought my '99 Sport with 78k miles for $4800. I did not even haggle down a lower price because I knew it was a good deal for both of us.

--
'99 Sport (Old Blue)
3.5" RE Lift
Conn Ferr rack on top
Dirt and rocks on the bottom

I prefer a 92-95, as a mtter of fact I own a 92 and a 95. the 92 is going on 270,000 miles (5-speed) the 95 has 150,000. Also my dad has a 99 and it sits slightly lower than the earlier models. almost 2 inches.

Okay out of the blue this guy calls me about a Craigslist ad I called him on last week....anyway he has a 2000 XJ with 94K for $6650...none of the problems mentioned above in fact the only thing I could find wrong with the vehicle was the battery posts needed cleaning and it is the same exact color as the other one....anyway put her thru the same stresses as the other one and nothing noticeable came up....I figure if the head hasn't cracked in 94K....oh and it was only owned by 2 people one 5 year lease and the the second owner for a year and a half and it is a COLORADO CAR NO SALT!!:party:

anyway here are a couple of pics, going to pick it up tomorrow...oh and I'm pretty much going to run this stock maybe a tire upgrade but I'm not a huge wheeling kinda guy I just do some pretty moderate offroading when I get a chance and if we have another winter like last I'll need the 4x4

010110010210010409200707314d9fe4e6309ca8f54400b110.jpg

010112010212010403200707314ec54ca09f4869058b00474d.jpg

jeepman121 said:
I prefer a 92-95, as a mtter of fact I own a 92 and a 95. the 92 is going on 270,000 miles (5-speed) the 95 has 150,000. Also my dad has a 99 and it sits slightly lower than the earlier models. almost 2 inches.

I have loved them all my 91 Laredo got me going good IIRC I bought it with 90K miles and ran it to almost 200K before I traded it in for a 99 that I had for a year before I dumped it to get rid of the payments :tears: I'll never let go of my new 00 :heart:

stay away from it..( the rental)
rentals do get regular maintenance but it does not fix past abuse.
my buddy takes out extra isurance because he rents a 4x4 just to go muddin.
returned a ranger with no reverse( bumped it in reverse going up a hil 30-35 mph)
returned an s-10 with no front air dam a blown tire ( dead tree on ground)
i bought my 2000 XJ Limited 4 months ago from craigslist
86,000 $6800 Keep looking and only buy from a dealer if your looking for a warrantyor better financing than your bank.
yes i know it has the wrong wheels it is a limited though it still has the limited spare (leather tow pack all power etc) for a 2000 Sport you should be looking to spend around 6000-6500
Looks like you might have found yourself a winner there( the second jeep)
clean good miles and in the 6000 range good luck

MyXJ1.jpg

Last edited:
mine is a 2000 with 85,000 miles. i run a 5 in dpg/re kit and 33's, i've also got a lp dana 30, and the infamous 0331 head. big freaking deal. runs great for me. now i wouldn't pay even near the amount they are asking though. i got mine because it has the extremely rare nv 3550 trans. to each his own, but these people that actually own a 2000-01 xj need to speak up. i get sick of hearing the same thing over and over about the problems. learn to wrench on it and devise a preventative maintenance plan. and understand that any jeep you wheel will break eventually.

Back