• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

middle of header swap - quick stupid ?'s

9t3country

NAXJA Forum User
trying to follow these directions to a tee, & I'm pretty sure I'm in over my head!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=95384

for starters, I can't figure out how to remove the wiring harness/brackets from each injector - it looks like they should pull off, but I don't want to force anything. It's a 93 4.0 (- trying to post a picture of the engine but I can't figure it out..). I'm sure it's really easy but when it comes to working underneath the hood I'm like a bull in a china shop...

also, IF I make it to the new gasket phase of this, which side of the APN gasket goes towards the motor? one side has slightly bigger metal edges around the holes. Also, exactly what type of copper gasket sealer do I use? I picked up some Permatex UltraCopper High Temp RTV Silicone, but should I have picked up the spray instead?

Lastly, I picked up the tap & die tools..looks like fun, but specifically, how does one go about the tapping and die-ing process?

Sorry for all the stupid questions :tear:

The fuel injector plugs have a thin metal retaining clip that essential goes around three sides of each plug. Use a scribe or other small tool to gently pull the retaining clips out far enough so you can carefully remove them. Once you see how they work it should be a piece of cake. Don't loose them!

Hard to say about the APN gasket since I've never seen one. The OEM gaskets I used had a stamp embedded that stated which side was out. I never used a gasket sealer. I've done this job about five times and never had an issue.

Did the tap & die set come with instructions?

negative - just bought the sizes the write up recommended - thanks for the tip on the wiring harnesses - back to work I go!

Back