• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 xj

cjsxj87

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all im looking into getting a newer xj because i recently sold my 87. I found one for $2000 its 97 with a 4.0 AX-15 175000 miles. There is no floor board rot its stock and drives pretty good. and the antenna broke therea chip in the windshield and the passeger mirror has a slight crack. I talked the guy down to $1800. Do you think this is an ok price? Is there anything I should llok for that goes wrong with 97+ xjs? Thank you in advance
Caleb

sound good.

97 & 98 are the best years i think. looks and components, i hope its chrysler 8.25 rear axle.....look for leaks obviously......make sure transfer case engages in all gears.......open hood start it up turn on a/c makesure elec. fan kicks on if it has ac.....listen for unusual sounds.....check for exhaust leak. ct has inspection on vehicles right? former new haven resident here.:patriot: :viking: look for leaks on the front axle at the seal. ya know the usual.

Thanks you for the advice. CT has inspection but only if you buy it out of state
I have to think about it, my parents are hesitant because they want something with better fuel milage. Does any one know what the average fuel economy on this is? I know my old one got 14 mpgs but this on is a manual soo prolly diffrent.

I have a 97 XJ SE, AX-15, 2wd. The lowest average mpg I've ever gotten on a tank is 21 mpg, which included a lot of stop and go driving.

The suprise are what im worried about. My first XJ had suprizes like the rear wheels wouldnt come off and stuff like that and i dont want there to be any so im going to have somebody that know more about mechanics than i do look at it. thank for the advice everyone
Caleb

Back