• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone heard of synlube? Never change your oil again?

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
www.synlube.com this place has some product that they say will allow you to run for something like 4000 engine hours with out changing your oil? 150,000 miles.
Anyone heard of this?
Oh and all the know it alls and the 1 uppers just shut up and dont post unless you have heard of this product.

cdhowell said:
I bet there parent company sells motors.
lol I wonder how you could find out who there parent co is?

Intriguing, and theoretically possible. I'd be most interested in seeing what API/SAE standards it's formulated for - with the decline in organometallic additive content in engine oils (cf. the new "Energy Saving" engine oils) causing trouble with flat tappet valvetrains, this might be critical...

Also, it's worth noting that while the additives tend to wear out, the base oil does not - that's why this is theoretically possible. That's how we are able to use "re-refined" oils (I wish I could still find that stuff...) - the additives and contaminants are flashed off in a shorter version of the cracking towers used for the fractional distillation of petroleum, and new additive packages are added to the various base oils that result. It's possible to "re-refine" pretty much any liquid base oil in this manner - from ATF to heavy gear oils. Any greases contained would probably be added to asphalt and other heavy fractions.

Have you requested a datasheet on this stuff yet? If you haven't, I probably will - but no sense in reinventing the wheel. If the datasheet is electronic, I'll email copies out (or just host it somewhere.) If it's paper, I'll scan it first.

Dmanti said:
Wouldn't airborne contaminants, coming in through the air-filter, and being too small for the oil-filter, build up over time?

I'm fairly sure you'd still have to change your oil filter at intervals - but there are probably small-micron filters now that can be mounted remotely somewhere convenient. Remove and clean the element. If you're really smart, have two elements - one to run while the other is cleaning.

The last kit I saw like that ran around 300 microns, and I'm sure it's gotten better. Might even be worth the trouble to do a disposable element for something like that, a remote mount would still save the "slide and stretch" involved in the oil filter change, and you'd lose less oil as a result I'm sure.

Or, just have a one-quart filter hung upside down somewhere easy to get to - fill the new filter with oil, and change. Problem solved.

This almost sounds too good to be true - but it's theoretically possible, which is why I say "almost." Either way, I think I'm going to end up looking into this some more myself anyhow...

scottmcneal said:
Oil Filter Magnets, now why do you need these with there oil? It sounds good.. I think i'll read more before i buy some, nice find​

That would be because no matter how good your lubricant is, there's still going to be some wear - usually on startup. You're going to get metal filings when you start the engine, just because the oil isn't circulating yet.

Lending credence to the idea of a "pre-oiler," something I used to do on request for performance engine builds. You use a pressurised oil reservoir and a cable-operated valve. Close the valve before you shut off the engine, and you've stored some pressurised oil. Open the valve about five seconds before you crank the engine, and you've got some pressurised oil circulating over the bearings and such before the oil pump gets started. Regenerate the pressurised supply with normal operatin - just remember to close the valve again sometime before you cut the engine off (it usually takes about a minute to build up a pressurised supply of oil again.)

I also used to do something similar for "post-oilers" for turbo setups - only without the valve, and with a metering orifice installed. The pressure oil went directly into the turbine/impeller bearing housing, and provided fresh oil for about a minute or two (depending on reservoir size) to the turbo as it "spun down." Running 90Krpm without oil circulation was murder on bearings and oil...

I request them to send me any literature they have on the Oil but I didnt ask for any of the other luricants or Filters they have. The site sas that it was in development from 44 - 66, so the stuff must have been around for some time. And check out the http://www.synlube.com/nooil.htm link. Most of the cars are rare or pretty much only found in Europe, but the owners of these cars are living in the USA. And alot of those are in Las Vegas? Kinda weird.

First Reply - Requesting Information

----- SNIP -----

Syn-Sol-X version of SynLube has been discontinued in 1996, the current version (Lube-4-Life) has been the same since 1997 till now

MSDS for INITIAL FILL is attached. MSDS contains SAFETY DATA only and does not disclose any formulations specifics that are not Legally required by EPA or DOT.

Specific formulation information is proprietary and is available only upon payment of $5,000 per product to individuals for private use only, but only after full non disclosure agreement is signed under penalty of $5,000,000 per incident and when agreement if filled properly to provide full protection under Federal Law.

You have to demonstrate that you NET worth is in excess of such penalty or obtain security bond valid for 25 years from date of disclosure.

Specific formulations to companies in related lubrication businesses can be negotiated or licensed based on projected production and or sales.

Syn-cerely

Miro Kefurt
http://www.synlube.com/

PS: Please note as per our NEWS RELEASE link on HOME PAGE, SynLube is the ONLY lubricant in the world that was ever tested by Independent Laboratory (AAA) both for DURABILITY and EMISSIONS and FUEL ECONOMY - Exxon, Mobil, AMSOIL has NEVER performed any such test, EVER !!!
So you need not worry about any "theoretical" wear on modern engine, the plastic parts on current production cars will fail long before you will have ANY measurable mechanical wear!

Also all modern engines have hydraulic tappets, so any wear of the tappets or shims depends on the lubricants ability to keep relatively HIGH viscosity in HTHS tests and not on any "anti-wear" as that would apply only to SOLID valve train components with no hydraulic cushioning. It is impossible for Hydraulic system of valve lash adjustment to have "too tight" clearances" that would result in boundary lubrication regime.

----- SNIP -----

Request for Clarification

----- SNIP -----

Thank you for the MSDS.

I understand how hydraulic tappets work, however most production vehicles are now coming around with roller-foot hydraulic tappets, which is how the API has managed to reduce the organometallic content as an anti-wear additive (API SM engine oils tend to lead to camshaft failures in flat-tappet engines - hydraulic or mechanical - due to the decrease on organometallic content. The organometallic compounds (specifically ZDDP) have been found to cause issues with catalytic converters, and reduction and/or elimination of ZDDP has been done in an effort to improve catalyst life.)

I am not looking for information specific to your formulation - I've not the facilities, the inclination, nor the time to duplicate it. However, I am interested in the API certifications that would apply to your lubricant (mainly, the "spark ignition" and "compression igniton" - or "S" and "C" - ratings,) and what the percentage of organometallic content of your oil would be. I am not interested in which organometallic compound you may be using - just that it is there, and generally how much of it.

Many of us with engines/vehicles over ten years old have been forced to find oil that carries an "SL" rating or an "S" and a "C" rating, because that would indicate a useful organometallic content without the need for some form of additive - like engine assembly lubricant or GM Engine Oil Supplement (EOS.) Thus, the request for a datasheet. There is no need to release any proprietary information.

As far as the MSDS goes, I fully understand that it would be for the initial fill only - engine "crud" (for lack of a better term) and piston ring blowby tend to rapidly contaminate oil, and no MSDS has yet been developed for the mixture that results.

Mainly, I find the idea interesting, and I'd like to look into it further. Your company was brought to my attention by way of another member of my Jeep club (the North American XJ Association - www.naxja.org,) and I would like to look into it a little deeper, and possibly shed some light on questions that might arise as a result.

----- SNIP -----

Second Reply

----- SNIP -----

There is no such thing as API certification or testing, there is just LICENSING that is for $65,000 you buy the right to put API donut on the BACK LABEL.

We have the same formula since 1997 so back then it was API SH, and our lubricant still meets ALL the performance requirements for that rating as well as the current SM.

The only limitation is for phosphorus and for the content of the ZNDP, and there are of course primary, secondary and mix ZnDP all having different performance characteristics.

The phosphorus level is under 0.1% by weight.

We use Organo Moly as well as Moly for wear control, in addition to graphite and PTFE, so actually there is not even a need for any ZNDP in our formula it is there just so that API SH to SM performance can be claimed based on the minimum content requirements.

The need for it is about the same as for a RED dye in ATF.

Syn-cerely

Miro Kefurt
SynLube Lube-4-Life® - 1-800-SYN-LUBE
http://www.synlube.com/

PS: If you have NEW engine you get 15 year or 150,000 mile warranty, which is 10 years and 50,000 miles more than Chrysler currently offers. And longer than the 7 year or 70,000 miles CERTIFIED engine durability with EPA and CARB.

----- SNIP -----

I've got notes on organometallic content levels somewhere, and I'm formulating the next reply. I do have the MSDS - I've cleaned up the format a bit (making it more readable. The information contained is fully preserved...) and will make it a .pdf file shortly. I'll put up a link for it once I do - despite what they've hinted at, Material Safety Datasheets are public domain information by Federal law. That's why they're available for the asking, and have to be provided upon request. There is a blurb about organometallic content on there (I think it was less than 1%,) which is why I need to find and check my notes.

Please don't ask for the .pdf - I don't want to have to answer two hundred emails. I'll put the link to it up in a bit - I just need to go over it again, and make a .pdf file out of it from its "native" MSWord format.

I had an awfully hard time buying this scenario when reading the initial post, now I'm sure I never will. Teflon (PTFE) is their secret anti-wear ingredient? DuPont won't even acknowledge that Teflon helps engines, and they're the ones that engineered it! When it's used in stuff like Slick 50, that's enough right there for me to steer away. Christ, who wants a huge amount of suspended solids floating around for the oil filter to have to grab?

pauldo39 said:
I had an awfully hard time buying this scenario when reading the initial post, now I'm sure I never will. Teflon (PTFE) is their secret anti-wear ingredient? DuPont won't even acknowledge that Teflon helps engines, and they're the ones that engineered it! When it's used in stuff like Slick 50, that's enough right there for me to steer away. Christ, who wants a huge amount of suspended solids floating around for the oil filter to have to grab?

Yeah, PTFE wasn't designed for use in engines anyhow.

As far as the "colloidal lubricant," it actually makes some sense from a physical point of view - the larger particles of the colloid would improve the lubricity of the additive package. And, the particle size on a colloidal suspension typically runs in the sub-micron level, and a "good" oil filter will catch particles larger than 3-5 microns (and pass everything else.) So, the colloidally-suspended particles should pass the filter neatly - I think most "bypass" filter systems will only catch down to one micron, so sub-micron particles should pass that as well. In simple terms, a "colloid" is a suspension of one material in another without the particles of the suspension being actually dissolved in the solvent. Coffee is a "solution" (the bits that make the coffee taste like it does are dissolved in the base water, and are therefore microscopic and can't really be filtered out,) while smoke is a "colloid" (very small solid particles are suspended in air - ~3 microns or so. Smoke can be filtered out of air. Just try taking a cup of coffee and filtering it back to pure water - I dare you.)

So, the idea of a colloidal lubricant isn't without merit, and if they can push additive longevity up, then the whole idea isn't impossible. The main problem would be additive longevity - I know that outfits have been taking a new look at engine oil additives and they've got them pushed up to 10,000-15,000 mile useful lives, but I'm still a bit at sea on the "forever" thing...

Back