• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Chryco 8.25 question

mikegronholz

NAXJA Forum User
I have 2 opportunities to pick up a D44 ranging from $200 (I pull it) - $275 (already pulled). I have an 01 with the 8.25. My intent is to use the Jeep for hunting\trails ... nothing more than 32" tires. Should I go for the 44 ? Or just lock the 8.25 and call it a day ?

mikegronholz said:
I have 2 opportunities to pick up a D44 ranging from $200 (I pull it) - $275 (already pulled). I have an 01 with the 8.25. My intent is to use the Jeep for hunting\trails ... nothing more than 32" tires. Should I go for the 44 ? Or just lock the 8.25 and call it a day ?

I think everyone on here has said that at one point...... I'd pick up the 44..

I have an 8.25, detroit locker, 4:56 and 33s. Been running this for more than a year with no issues.

That's a good price for a 44. I say go for it, you say "nothing more than 32" tires" but we all know that usually never sticks, we allways go bigger than we first thought! In the future when you want to go 35s you're good, with an upgrade to the d30. plus you can probably sell your 8.25 for $150 to $200, in the end the d44 would then be a very cheap upgrade for you($0 to $50).

I installed a 2001 model c8.25 and have had no problems yet with 36" IROCS. Blew two d30 short shafts though:D.

Kim

MudDogg said:
plus you can probably sell your 8.25 for $150 to $200, in the end the d44 would then be a very cheap upgrade for you($0 to $50).

If a buyer were to show themselves quickly, it would be a done deal ... 89,000 miles .. .no leaks, fresh synth fluid and a lubelocker ... 3.55 gears.

in the end the d44 would then be a very cheap upgrade for you($0 to $50).

on that note, both of the axles need bearings and seals and brakes ... so that is at least another $100 in parts.

I think everyone on here has said that at one point

My most capable rig yet was a Scrambler on 31's .. that old girl went everywhere. i am pretty certain that 4" of lift and 32's are going to be my limit. if i can't get there on those, i don't need to be there. i bought the XJ becasue i had a brain fart and forgot that raw power can only get you so far (330hp\600#\ft of torque Cummins in my truck). Lots of weight plus power = BIG ruts. In its stock form so far on 30" tires, the XJ has surprised me quite a bit. I am a firm believer in "i'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" but ... honestly here ... if i do something and break an 8.25, is it a safe bet i would have damaged the 44 as well ?

i am torn ... i like thinking "theres a 44 back there" ... but is it worth the cash and time ? You guys have made some very valid points and i hope to see more !!! i'm leaning towards keeping the 8.25 ... but the vanity of a 44 is alluring :dunno:

if you keep the 8.25 you will always be thinking "what if"
with the 44 I think you will sleep better at night....plus the 44 has more after market support.

yellowta said:
If you break 8.25 shaft, there's tons of them in the yards. If you break a XJ D44 shaft..... aftermarket may be the only option.

That's a great point.

I'm still not sure why everyone thinks the D44 is the end all to all axle problems. Yeah it has better aftermarket support, but you can get lockers and go as deep as 4.56 in the Chryco 8.25.

Keep your stocker and pocket the money. If you ever do decide to go with bigger tires, skip right over the D44 and go bigger.

MisterFubar said:
Keep your stocker and pocket the money. If you ever do decide to go with bigger tires, skip right over the D44 and go bigger.

Right. If something other than gear depth prompts you to ditch your 29-spline 8.25, the 44 isn't going to be your bombproof solution. Why go to the trouble of upgrading for such a modest upgrade? If you're going to pull the chryco axle, put a D60 or something like that in there.

As has been mentioned, if you're going to get inch-itis and be powerless against it, then why not go directly to a 9"/D60 combo or something like that?

I say stay with the stocker. Nothing's cheaper than already on your vehicle.

For what you're going to be using your Jeep for, the risk of breaking your stock 8.25 is minimal at best, even with 32's. The D44 is definitely stronger, but really the main benefit to it is if you did, in some unforseen circumstance break an axle shaft, it is not a C-clip axle like the 8.25, making it much easier to get off the trail.

jeeperguy21 said:
For what you're going to be using your Jeep for, the risk of breaking your stock 8.25 is minimal at best, even with 32's. The D44 is definitely stronger,

Care to back up the D44 is definitely stronger statement? I've been led to believe that its a toss up between a d44 and a 29 sp 8.25...

AFAIK the chryco has a larger diam. axle tube and stouter pinion shaft than the d44, but the ring gear may be stouter on the d44...

Others will surely chime in here.

Archdukeferdinand said:
Care to back up the D44 is definitely stronger statement? I've been led to believe that its a toss up between a d44 and a 29 sp 8.25...

AFAIK the chryco has a larger diam. axle tube and stouter pinion shaft than the d44, but the ring gear may be stouter on the d44...

Others will surely chime in here.

The 44 is stronger... the 44 does have smaller diamater axle tube but nothing a truss cant fix.... The pinion is a tad bit smaller, but how often are you breaking the pinion shaft?

The 44 has a ton of aftermarket support, etc.

I mean I rant he 29sp. 8.25 for a year and yeah its a strong axle. BUT, upgrading to 36's I just felt worried about the 8.25 and c-clip axle shafts.. but then again im running an Isusu Rodeo 44 and it has 1.5" 30 spline shafts...

I'd go 44 while you can...

On another note, if you're going to run 32's on a locked 29 spline 8.25... It's NOT going to break... It'll even be fine w/ 33's.. some say 35's.. but to each his own..

Archdukeferdinand said:
Care to back up the D44 is definitely stronger statement?
The axle shafts in the D44 are considerably larger than the Corp 8.25 shafts, which are only marginally larger than the D35 shafts.

Tom R. said:
The axle shafts in the D44 are considerably larger than the Corp 8.25 shafts, which are only marginally larger than the D35 shafts.

Yep, by a whole tenth of an inch.....

Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01

Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89

uncc civilengineer said:
but then again im running an Isusu Rodeo 44 and it has 1.5" 30 spline shafts...

Sorry for the 'hijack', but what year were those found in? What year is yours? We got a few out in a local yard.
And for the rearend, while were Hasta, if you are too worried about it, buy some Yukon alloy shafts for around $100 each, and use your stocks as spares.

Remember we do have this thread... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101345

JNickel101 said:
Yep, by a whole tenth of an inch.....

Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01

Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89
...which is a more significant size difference than either the D35 (1.18") or 27-spline 8.25 (1.17") as compared to the 29-spline 8.25.

Back