• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove knuckle on '79 F-150 D44 Axle?

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
As the title states, how do you remove the knuckles on a D44 that came out of a '79 F-150? I tried the standard way of just removing the nuts & hammering, then I noticed a threaded piece in there. Does it require a special spanner socket or something?

There are two nuts that you will need a spanner socket to take off before you can pull the hub. Then there are 5 bolts holding the spindle to the knuckle, take those off and you can pull the shafts. then there are two large nuts holding the ball joints in place, romove those then beat the sheet out of the knuckle until it drops.

Shafts & all that are already out, and I've tried beating on it to the point of deforming the steel on the knuckle but it hasn't dropped yet. I'll try beating it again. Thanks.

little heat around the ball joints never hurt anyone, and might cause a temp difference enough to make something move...

you need new ball joints anyway...

There is a spanner nut in there for ball joint preload that I thought might have to come out before I could remove the knuckle. I found the specialty spanner socket at the local tool place for $8. I found out later it isn't necessary to remove it first. I had to end up pounding directly on the ball joints, then it came out.

Last edited:
Back