• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

start relay question

bxj

NAXJA Forum User
Willing to accept the fact or consequences that the Jeep can be started in gear but also thinking of doing some modification to the XJ in changeing over to a manual transmission-Also thinking that I can simply de-energize/neutralize the NSS function by the hood start relay-Wondering if I can just remove that Neutral Safety Switch(NSS) switch out of the wireing loom and off the start relay switch and still have the ol XJ engine start -Does anyone know which numbered or colored wire electrical to remove from the start relay pin ? Any advice or directions/information always welcome-TIA
bxj

the NSS is on the right hand side of the aw4 tranny towards the front. follow the wiring from it up, it is at the rear of the firewall on the right side behind the oil dipstick.

take and cut the two black wires (I believe B and C), and splice them together (not halfass, actually solder or crimp them plus shrink tube them. that will cut the no-start for the nss out of the picture. it will now start in any gear. plus your revers (backup) lights should work if that part of the NSS was still present.

Back