• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 C-clip REMOVAL? Need advice Please

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
How do I remove the passenger side INNER C-clip on my 1988 disco Dana 30 that holds in the intermediate shaft on the pumpkin end?

Where is the C-clip located?

How do I access the C-clip? What needs removed?
Please be specific. thanks

Take the diff cover off, pull the cross shaft retaining bolt, take the cross shaft out and there should be enough movement to get the c-clip out.

I've had a Dana 30 apart many times....

I have NO IDEA what the "CROSS SHAFT" is? Sorry.
thats why I said "please be specific".
OpenDiff.jpg

Last edited:
IntrepidXJ said:
it's the pin that goes thru the carrier (hopefully you know what the carrier is).

Why would the carrier's center pin need removed to access the C-clip?

I just need to know WHERE IS THE C-CLIP LOCATED? So I can get to it in order to remove it.

You have to remove the cross shaft/center pin so that you can push the shafts inward to access the c-clips.

there are no C-clips in a D30 front end, disco or not.

If you want to remove the inner axle shaft, you have to remove the vacuum motor and the collar.

mjma said:
there are no C-clips in a D30 front end, disco or not.

If you want to remove the inner axle shaft, you have to remove the vacuum motor and the collar.

Ok bud, we've already established that THERE IS INDEED a C-Clip.... and the vacuum motor/collar/outer shaft are ALREADY removed.

There is an inner C-clip on some dana 30s, on the passenger side ONLY that have the disconnect 2-piece shaft. I have found this out the hard way. So, don't go giving people wrong info when you don't know for sure.

If I pull the center pin, SHOULD I BE ABLE TO SEE THE END OF THE SHAFT WITH THE CLIP ON IT??
Do I have to remove the Spider Gears too?

Last edited:
I had a disconnect D30 and it didn't have a C-clip. I don't know why yours would???

If it does indeed have a C-clip, then when you pull the center pin, you just push on the spiders and they fall out. However.....from previous experience with D30s, and from your pic (if that is from your vehicle) you won't be getting the cross shaft out without removing the ring gear! It would be pretty tricky to remove the ring gear without the carrier being out of the vehicle, although I guess it could be done. Take a good look at the cross shaft, and see if it has some flat edges facing you. It may be such that you just need to rotate the cross shaft 90 degrees so that you can then push the innner axle shaft in a tiny bit and expose this alleged C-clip.

However, since you can't remove the cross shaft with the ring gear on there, I don't see how they would have put a C-clip in there to begin with!!

hey barillms. no offense, but you come on here asking how to get the c-clip out, then you get smart about asking how to get the c-clip out and not having to remove the cross pin. then you TELL people that YOU KNOW that it has a c-clip. so you went from not knowing what you're doing, to arguing with people who know what they're doing. just warning you, that you might start catching some heat.

and i'm also one of the people that says i highly doubt you have a c-clip in there. i've taken apart several vacuum D30's and haven't found a c-clip. reach in the axle tube with a telescoping magnet rated for 5#+ lifting capacity and pull the inner axle shaft out.

ok, so this was bugging me now, so i pulled up alldata here at the shop. i looked up an 88XJ 4.0L 4wd. apparently some did use a c-clip.

but i do have to also agree with mjma. how would anybody put the c-clip in if the shaft can't be installed/removed with the ring gear in place due to your ring gear overlapping. so the only thing i can see is that somewhere on your ring gear somebody shaved the tips off of a couple of the teeth, or there is a flat side to the cross pin. have you looked if either of those apply???

I knew there was something in there, I just didn't know what it was.
I found out it was a C clip, then I was asking how to access it? Thats all.

I've already determined that there is something holding the shaft in place,
and then I have people telling me NO NO NO, dana 30s DON't Have C clips.

You're right, I did get smart... I learned something I didn't know.

I triend prying the shaft out with a long crow bar end, and
it's not coming out... it's held in there. Trust me.

As soon as I get home, I will be trying to remove the carrier center pin.
I'll probably end up removing the spider gears too.

This should expose the end of the shaft, and hopufully I can get some needlenose on that Clip and pull it off.

I appreciate the help.

Alright. I just had a parts jeep leave and it had a disco d30. In order for me to get the c-clip out I just took the cover off, used a flat head screwdriver with a hammer,(it don't take much of a hit) and knock out the clip and the inner shaft should slide out. There is enough room between the center pin and the spider gears for the screwdriver to fit. That is exactly how I did it. Any questions let me know:wave1:

Kim

Oh yeah, I had zero luck trying to get the center pin out without taking off the ring gear. there just is not enough clearance.

Kim

Some disco D30 axles apparently did not have a c-clip from the factory. Plus often people do not reinstall the c-clip as it's not absolutely required.

Back