• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Messing with lights - how do I modify the fog lights!!!

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ Sport 4.0 4 door.

Easiest way to modify my FACTORY fog lights so that I can switch them on when the head lights are NOT on, also I would like them to NOT switch off when I turn the high beams on.

Reason is I want to hook rock lights up to the factory fog light switch and want to be able to turn them on as I please independently of the head lights.

Ok not sure if they somehow put the lighting system in the computer as they have done in my ram...but...

You should be able to find the relay that controls the fogs. Cut the trigger wire and run a new one to some other source...such as the hot wire to a side marker light. This will turn on the fogs and keep them on as long as your parking lights are on....even with high beams on.

As for where the relay is..not sure.

They are wired into your hi-lo beam switch. You'll have to bypass the switch. If you want to turn them on while the headlights are off, you'll need to bypass both switches.

There are 2 relays that operate the FLs. The 12v supply in the FL switch gets power from relay #1 in the PDC. This relay is closed when the lights are ON and the Hi-Lo switch is in Lo. Relay #2 is connected between the switch and the lights themselves. You need to connect the FL switch to different, non relayed but switched source (Key in RUN).

it's not
and it's like that so people don't leave lights on when they turn off the Jeep, and because it's not legal to run fogs with hi-beams.

We're talking about running 1 wire to the fog lamp switch. How can it be any easier?

Saudade said:
We're talking about running 1 wire to the fog lamp switch. How can it be any easier?

Just eliminate the current wiring. Tape them off and put them aside. Run new wires to a switch inside, ground, and a 12v source.

just leave it...that is the way it is supposed to be. install a new switch for your flood lights or whatever. i don't know if this is for real or not, but i am pretty sick of jerks running around with just the fogs on or the highs and the fogs...fog lights are for just that...a supplemental low beam when it is foggy out.

PapaPump said:
just leave it...that is the way it is supposed to be. install a new switch for your flood lights or whatever. i don't know if this is for real or not, but i am pretty sick of jerks running around with just the fogs on or the highs and the fogs...fog lights are for just that...a supplemental low beam when it is foggy out.

If you would have read then you would have realized that I want to hook that switch up to control rock lights. I dont even have fog lights anymore because of my bumper.

Sometimes I drive around with these lights on at night. Does that bother you?
nightvision-1.jpg

While what your wanting to do is fine. Is it worth the effort to do it. the factory fog lights are on when the parking lights are on, and the high beems are not. Most rock wheeling is done at slow speeds where high beems are not needed. So when your rock crawling with you low beems, or just the parking lights on the rocklights will operate. When you in the high speed stuff using your high beems, and driving lights the rock lights automaticly go out. Sound like the best of both worlds right from the factory there.

Also I would be bitching up a storm if you where behind me on a trail with those things on. I get enough complaints when I just have my low beem headlights on, and I'm folowing someone.

PapaPump said:

Someone's got sand in his vagina :eeks1:

scoobyxj said:
While what your wanting to do is fine. Is it worth the effort to do it. the factory fog lights are on when the parking lights are on, and the high beems are not. Most rock wheeling is done at slow speeds where high beems are not needed. So when your rock crawling with you low beems, or just the parking lights on the rocklights will operate. When you in the high speed stuff using your high beems, and driving lights the rock lights automaticly go out. Sound like the best of both worlds right from the factory there.

Also I would be bitching up a storm if you where behind me on a trail with those things on. I get enough complaints when I just have my low beem headlights on, and I'm folowing someone.

Good point

I dont have those lights on when someone is in front of me. I usually lead the pack so I can have them on.:laugh3:

jmsull said:
Originally Posted by PapaPump

Someone's got sand in his vagina :eeks1:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah that bothers me, that is some gay shit. they are not rock lights, they are image lights. just leave the headlights on with them, what would be the reason not to? yeah it would fuckin' bother me if i encoutered all those lights on the road blaring in my eyes or in the rearview.

i am suprised someone with such a modified jeep can't figure this one out for himself. it is just one wire, and you call it complicated. i don't think i'm the one with a pussy here, being as i can run my own wiring without whining about it being complicated. i just hate it when dumbshits run only aux lights on the street. and yes i did read the post, but no, i don't believe the trail will be the only place you will turn that crap on.

PapaPump said:
yeah that bothers me, that is some gay shit. they are not rock lights, they are image lights. just leave the headlights on with them, what would be the reason not to? yeah it would fuckin' bother me if i encoutered all those lights on the road blaring in my eyes or in the rearview.

i am suprised someone with such a modified jeep can't figure this one out for himself. it is just one wire, and you call it complicated. i don't think i'm the one with a pussy here, being as i can run my own wiring without whining about it being complicated. i just hate it when dumbshits run only aux lights on the street. and yes i did read the post, but no, i don't believe the trail will be the only place you will turn that crap on.

I can figure out any wiring. I just wanted to know if there was an easier way to have the factory fog lights bypass the switch that turns them off with the brights and turns them off with the head lights.

See all the other stuff that I have hooked up. Winch, lights, amplifier, CB, electric nail gun for your head.

Back