• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Woes

CROSBIKE

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys heres the deal. Last week I was wheeling in western MA and my transmission started smoking after repeated attempts up a rock face. So I parked my jeep and let it cool for about 4 hours and it was fine driving about 50 minutes home. It was fine this week but now i think my torque converter is messing up. When i hit the gas from a dead stop there is a loud noise that i dont really know how to describe then it seems something catches and it doesnt happen unless i leave from a dead stop. What do you guys think is the problem?
I have a AW4 that i was going to rebuild and put in in maybe the next 4 months while I'm at Tech school. The thing is that this is the second transmission in it so it is not that old maybe 5 or 6 years old.

My rig is a 94 XJ, 4.0, AW4, np231 and d30/44 33"tires on 3.55

I would drain out the old fluid (including the torque converter) and replace it with fresh fluid along with a bottle of LubeGard red bottle. I have seen so many automatic transmissions (mainly cars but still) have severe torque converter shudder problems that disappear after using that stuff. I trust few additives to do what they say, but this tranny treatment is actually what Saab, Honda, and possibly other auto manufacturers recommend in FSBs involving rough shifting automatics, especially with TC problems.

You very well may have done some permanent damage, but the bottle is maybe 10 bucks so to me it's worth trying.

How do i drain the torque converter too? I almost bought the lubegaurd today but i got the lucas tranny treatment instead. Guess ill return it

Most transmisions have the fluid cooled and heated by the engine radiator.
Therefore, the upper operating limit is about 220 F on the tranny fluid returning the the tranny. Much more than that and the fluid goes down hill fast.

CROSBIKE said:
ya i have seen that one before but i couldnt find the running temp. thanks
anybody else have any words of wisdom?

Big Ditto for CheapXJ. I know for a fact that Chrysler ATF is a bad mix for
AW4's. Get the fluid out of the TC by pumping and circulating ATF into it. All it takes is a sump pump ( you can buy one at Home Depot ) and a 5 gallon bucket. Fill the bucket with ATF and a detergent of your choice, drop the sump pump into it, connect the lines and go! Lube centers will charge 150 bucks for this kind of work.

That's good to hear, I was hoping something like that was the issue, as AW4s are nearly invincible. Did you add a bottle of lubegard? If not, I would strongly suggest doing that when you drain/refill in a few miles, it really helps keep temps down and the fluid stable when stressed.

Back