• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Winch Or Not To Winch Bumpers!?

Fast95Neon

NAXJA Forum User
That is the question!

Im in the process of taking off the fender to weld the door latch on the frame that got ripped 3/4 of the way off and i was thinking....great time to get a bumper!

i have Jcr in mind...but do i want the pre runner winch bumper or stage 4
the thing is i dont wheel often or get stuck at all..but id hate to be helpless in any situation.

what are you opinions on this....
winching with a hi lift jack...anyone ever done this?
or
using a winch plate? on the front of a tow hitch?

THANKS!

I haven't done it with a highlift, but I have done it with a come-along hand winch. My plan is to get non-winch bumpers with 2" recievers that I can mount a winch to front or rear as needed and remove when not. Also I can put bike racks and all sorts of other usefull accessories on the front.

Not having a winch is not an option in my book anymore. Sure you can use other methods to get yourself out, but 20 minutes of winching versus 4-5 hours fighting your way out by hand 5 feet at a time is a no brainer. Pays for itself pretty quickly. As an added bonus you can anchor yourself and winch others who are too cheap to buy a winch out.

I've used a Hi-lift to winch an XJ out of the mud and while it is doable, it isn't something you would want to do very often( especially in the heat and humidity of a Georgia summer). Its 4ft. and reset, 4ft. and reset.......... I would suggest a 3rd option, a quality come-a-long(cable puller). You can get a really good one for under a $100 from most farm supply stores (Tractor Supply Co., etc.) Watch out for cheap ones, they're dangerous and usually don't last long:skull2: . Just a thought.

Keep searching, there's a thread on here somewhere with pics of both. Have to agree if you go with a winch bumper, the JCR is probably one of the best made I've seen in person.

If I'm not mistaken, the OR Fab bumper is a 3 piece design which would have me wondering about strength issues if you tagged a rock head on. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Haleyes said:
Trust me, I even eat their weiners!

this is a good quote!

The Orfab bumper is actually more than 3 pieces, but It is stout, cheap, and ties back into the frame and steering box bolts. It will not, however fit a milemarker hydro winch nor a superwinch EP series without cutting. and it will not fit ANY integrated solenoid winches. (warn XD, ramsey patriot, Superwinch S, Superwinch EPI, Warn Powerpack etc.)

T&T is a nice lightweight winch bumper.

I have an AJ bumper w/ multi-mount. Has worked great. I do have it wired for the rear bumper, have never had to use it though.

Got the JCR prerunner winch bumper with a Warn M8000 - one of the best additions I've done. If you don't already have a steering box frame stiffener I'd suggest doing it along with the bumper since you're gonna have the box loose anyway (I installed the C-rok on mine, a good combination).
Couple of pics

74217162.jpg

74217233.jpg

Hope this is some help,
Mike

Back