• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goferit tie rod flip with stock aluminum wheels?

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
As the thread title indicates, I'm wondering if the Goferit tie-rod flip will work with my stock 15" aluminum wheels (I have a 1999 Limited, so whatever style that was called). I think I've read every tie-rod flip thread here (and I have an e-mail in to Goferit--they haven't gotten back yet) and I still don't seem to have a clear answer. Some say you don't need 16" wheels, but the backspacing has to be changed; others have said you have to have 16" wheels. Marcus (Gojeep) wasn't even sure in his OTK write up regarding stock alloys.
I don't care if I have to grind down the anti-sway bar bracket a bit on the driver's side; I just don't want to have to walk away from doing it because of needing new wheels, which I'm too cheap to spring for.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that all steering components are stock. I was thinking of sleeving the tie rod, but I'm waiting to see how the tie-rod flip info. works out first.

I installed one of there flip kits on my '93 xj with stock wheels no problems,
a little grinding on the sway bar bracket and on the tie rod end.(I also ground off the lip on the insert so it would sit flush on top of the knuckle).
JEEP_THE_PLANET

Thanks, guys. Sixer, are your stock wheels the alloys or steel? I already know that it'll work with stock steel.

Well, here's the reply from Goferit:

Subject: RE: Tie rod flip inserts
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 13:09:28 -0400
They won't work with the factory wheels sorry they have too much backspacing.
You will need a rim with 4" or less backspacing
And yes you have to relocate the sway bar mount higher up, it just depends on what kind of links your using.

Sheldon

Grinding of the wheel or of the TRE? I'm not sure how comfy I am with grinding down part of an aluminum wheel. I'd think it would significantly weaken it, but I'm not a metallurgist.

Nevermind, sixer, I just reread your post from three weeks ago in which you said you had to grind the rod end and the anti-sway bar bracket.

Here is a pic of what happened when I tried it with stock exploder wheels (which have less BS than Jeep) and it still hit, even after grinding down the tie rod end (not shown).
DSC04092.jpg

Cool. Thanks for the picture. I've decided against the flip inserts for now anyway. I'm planning to try out the new(-ish) Rugged Ridge H.D. steering linkage. I can get it for about $175 shipped and it has larger rod ends (but with the same taper on the ball studs as stock) so it wouldn't fit anyway.

Back