• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Valley ???

DaJudge

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I will be camping in Death Valley for 5 days in December. What should I make sure I see/do while I am there?

Glen

When and where and with who are you camping?

There's a ton to see, both off the pavement and off-road.

Check out the pics from our February '05 trip

Camping at Furnace Creek December 24-29, 2007. My wife and another couple will be with us. ANy wheeling should probably in the moderate range. Not sure how the other couple is going to take to it!

Edit: Found the thread...thanks!

Last edited:
There's a lot of moderate stuff to be done, although they all involve long distances because of the size of Death Valley NP.

The NP website has some good information on backcountry travel.

Do you have any maps of the area?

Not yet...any suggestions on good ones?

Glen, I've done the Racetrack Playa/Saline Valley Warm Springs/Eureka Sand Dunes trip a couple of times, it was GREAT! The 'wheeling is in the moderate range as long as the passes are not snowed in, but you are a loooong way from civilization. This was in January of 2002:

Racetrack Playa
orig.jpg

Camping at Racetrack Playa was cold...
orig.jpg

Coupla days later at Eureka dunes it was much warmer.
orig.jpg

First view of the Eureka Dunes
orig.jpg

The hardest part of Steel Pass between Saline Valley Warm Springs and Eureka Valley. This it the stupid line, you can drive over the rocks and stay level.
orig.jpg

More Steel Pass
orig.jpg

What happens in Saline Valley stays in Saline Valley...
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/users/[email protected]/Death Valley

I've got a couple of good maps of the area that you are welcome to borrow.

Thanks Alex. I may take you up on that!

Handlebars said:
I dug out the maps and a book: "Explorers Guide to Death Valley".

Sounds like an excuse for lunch! Maybe we should try another local lunch M&G. Maybe some more will come this time.

Back