• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

switched back to conventional oil

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
I've used mobil 1 100% synthetic for 3 years. Went om a budget and changed oil back to a conventional. Now not even 24 hours later the car is smoking. Whats up with that?

Your moter is worn. Synthetic dosen't burn well and it smokes less so you never noticed it.

Did you go from 100% synthetic to 100% conventional without doing a 50/50 mixed oil change first?

you dont have to do any kind of 50/50 mix on anything doing a change from synthetic to conventional or visa versa.
what is smoking? what color? more at startup or driving.
mike

According to my local Kwik Lube, it is best for the engine to do a 50/50 mix before go 100% either way. Don't know the science behind it, but that's what I was told when I went 100% synthetic over 3 years ago.

Greyish color smoke from what I can tell. It happens when I really get on it to pass a car. Or else reving it while its stopped.
Its 100% conventional, no syn mix. Coming from tailpipe.

Kwik Lube, the same ones who put Pennzoil in everything?

bustednutz said:
Greyish color smoke from what I can tell. It happens when I really get on it to pass a car. Or else reving it while its stopped.
Its 100% conventional, no syn mix. Coming from tailpipe.

One of our local wheelers had this same color smoke on his 95 XJ, It turned out to be the cat burning up? Thats what he claimed it to be and a new cat cleared it up.:dunno:

Ya know, that could be the issue as well. My Cat has been rattling inside for a long time. I know its probably time to replace it as well. This is another avenue to look at.
Who sells reasonably priced Catalytic converters?
Thanks.

jeeperguy21 said:
According to my local Kwik Lube
No offense but that right there completely throws the rest of your statement out the window. :doh:

bustednutz said:
Ya know, that could be the issue as well. My Cat has been rattling inside for a long time. I know its probably time to replace it as well. This is another avenue to look at.
Who sells reasonably priced Catalytic converters?
Thanks.

Summit has Magniflow direct fit cats for about 100 bucks, and most parts stores I checked could get direct fits for about that or universals for 70-80.

Back