• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grrr..renix egr tube/header problem

XJawgi

NAXJA Forum User
Im in the process of putting my engine back together and could have had it dropped in today if it werent for the friggin pace setter header. As stated before in my " engine build" thread in the photos section, im building a renix stroker. I went w/ the pace setter b/c it was reasonably priced. But here comes my rant!!

-- Im not sure why they do this, or dont inform you when buying it -- but the damn egr tube is off by a full 5/8 or more --

jeepbuild010.jpg

I know i didnt bend the tube because i took the old manifold off and layed it in the back of my jeep untill i was ready to bolt the tube off. After running around town trying to find a 5/8" bender ( on a sunday ) and no one having one but harbor freight ( which broke within the first 2 mintues of useage) and trying to find the new fittings - and using heat to bend it, we couldnt tweak it to the way my old man wanted it. So i will be going to the dealership tomorrow and buying a new one to try and modify a new one.

Has anyone had this problem w/ their header such as clifford or borla? Such a simple little tube, has put me back a week from dropping my engine in. Just doesnt make sense why pacesetter would put the hole where its at instead of moving it over that 5/8", or providing you w/ a new tube.

I pluged both holes with no ill effects. My new manifold came with the plug and I just got a plug for the manifold. Now here in my part of Pa. we really don't have emissions testing so I don't know how plugging the holes would do with a sniffer test.

Visit us at www.pa-wheeling.com A site that has a lot to offer.

For lack of plugs, I snipped the end of the tube and welded shut. No effects at all.

probably will dump entire EGR before its over with.

We are doing the EXACT same thing. I have a stroked renix and a Pacesetter exhaust. Pacesetter told me to get a 7/8 by 18 threads per inch plug. That's like looking for a needle in a haystack as they are not very common anymore. You REALLY do not need the EGR at all. I plugged the exhaust already and i am in the process of doing the exhaust header as well. The EGR is a real boneheaed idea. Introduce HOT air back into the place where you want cold air, ONLY.

Take off the whole assembly and plug it up. Cut the tube off and weld the ends closed. Screw them back in and be done. It will not effect anything. I have been told that it will actually make things run better and better MPG as well.

thats what i thought, i remember reading where people disconnected their egr..ima see what happens today, im off to the dealership in a few to price a new tube...only for the fittings...my dad will be ordering new tubing to we can bend our own.

we were thinking about compression fittings to downsize the pipe, and just put a 1/2" tube instead of 5/8" that way we dont have to order anything from the dealership.

muddshutter said:
We are doing the EXACT same thing. I have a stroked renix and a Pacesetter exhaust. Pacesetter told me to get a 7/8 by 18 threads per inch plug. That's like looking for a needle in a haystack as they are not very common anymore. You REALLY do not need the EGR at all. I plugged the exhaust already and i am in the process of doing the exhaust header as well. The EGR is a real boneheaed idea. Introduce HOT air back into the place where you want cold air, ONLY.

Take off the whole assembly and plug it up. Cut the tube off and weld the ends closed. Screw them back in and be done. It will not effect anything. I have been told that it will actually make things run better and better MPG as well.
because it lowers combustion chamber temps, and lowers NOx readings.It's not active during WOT situations, only at cruising throttle and constant engine speeds, so you're not sacrificing engine power. The main drawback is all the nasty stuff it intorduces back into the intake side of the engine, carbon and such.

I TRIED to modify it and it cracked. So I just cut it in two completly and then folded the ends of each piece over like 3 times with a BFH and put them back on. Maybe if and when I get it smoged again the tech wont notice that they are not connected.

I will say that the fitment is a Joke. I couldnt even put all the bolts back in with the pacesetter. The middle front lower can not be accessed while in the jeep, maybe not even out of it? so I had to leave that one out. Luckly I am good with indian head sealer.

Then theres the O2 sensor relocation right in to the tranny lines as well as only giving a single wire to extend a 3 wire O2 with. Then you get interferance with the lower driverside Bellhousing bolt to cross over tube. Along with front yoke to down pipe hitting. Yeah all this can be dealt with. But why cant it just be done in the factory so that every fitment doesnt need to do this.

Anyways it does run better and stronger and sound nicer..

pacesetter is getting a call from me today when i get into work.

anyways i went to the junk yard...found a renix xj and stole one fitting off the engine. so what were going to do is take 2 good fittings out of the 3 that i have, and take 2 tubes and a compression fitting in the middle and make it work. ill show you all pics later on if we get it done.

all this work for a stupid egr tube.

o by the way... $66 big ones at the dealership...scccrew that

I'm missing something...

Why can't you heat it up and bend it into position?

Its been a few years, but I cut mine in two pieces. Then I tack welded the two pieces back together when it was on the vehicle. I took the piece off and finished the weld. I used some type of oxy-actylene type welder.
Tom

Root Moose said:
I'm missing something...

Why can't you heat it up and bend it into position?

Shure if it doesnt crack the second you try to bend it in any position. See my post above..

87manche said:
because it lowers combustion chamber temps, and lowers NOx readings.

I understand how it will lower NOx readings but how does introducing hot exhaust gases back into the engine lower combustion chamber temp???

MogifiedXJ said:
I understand how it will lower NOx readings but how does introducing hot exhaust gases back into the engine lower combustion chamber temp???
because you're replacing O2 with CO2, limit the oxidizer in the CC and you'll decrease temps.
read:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/egr.htm
I googled for that and it explains what I'm trying to state very well.

87manche said:
because you're replacing O2 with CO2, limit the oxidizer in the CC and you'll decrease temps.
read:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/egr.htm
I googled for that and it explains what I'm trying to state very well.
I still think it would be a nominal difference. My 99 intake I switched it out for doesn't even have a place for one...so I would still just get rid of it.

Back