• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SBC to AX-15

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so i think that advance adapters has a bellhousing for the AX-15 that will bolt right up to a small block Chevy. is this true. i know the AX-15 is really a strong transmission. also, ive heard that either advance adapters or novak make V8 motor mounts for the Cherokee, is this true? ive seen some posts on here about converting the Cherokee to a SBC. im looking right now for a Cherokee that i can put a V8 in. should i look for an 86 or older because of the 2.8/2.5 with a carb so i can use the fuel pump to feed the small block? also, i assume that the ignition would be easier to change over because the pre 1991 Cherokees use a GM ignition. so i guess what im asking is: should i buy an 86 or older Cherokee with a carbed 2.8/2.5 with GM ignition and find a newer AX-15 and use the advance adapters bellhousing if it exists, and drop the combo in the Jeep? any help is appreciated, thanks :patriot:

Last edited:
Advanced Adapters sells a kit to adapt the AX15 to a SBC. Its on their website.

They also sell a kit to put a SBC into a XJ. Its also on their website.

Read this thread. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=243594665#post243594665

The guy is having problems with the stock fuel pump on his conversion. You will need to run a fuel pressure regulator and a gauge. Set it to about 4-5 lbs.

novak makes one as well

advance adapters sells a whole kit to change a Cherokee over to a SBC? ill try the website.

thank you very much for the links, for some reason i couldn't find the motor mount page. :spin3:

Unless it's something new, AA does not sell a "kit" to install a SBC into an XJ; they sell engine mounts, trans adapters, and clutch related hardware.
Best to check their catalog for what they do sell.
Also, the AX15 is a medium duty trans--not a "really strong" trans. If your Chevy is bone stock, and you're careful, it should hold up.
As far as what year of XJ is best to take the SBC, '87 and newer is better, because they were built to accommodate the 4.0L straight six, which is much longer than the V-6 or the 4cyl put into the '86 and older XJs.
The most difficult issues are exhaust manifolds and cooling.
You'll need to use early (~84) truck manifold, low horse power Camaro manifolds, or Chevy center dump manifolds; manifolds that "collect" above the spark plugs, and "hug" the block. You should avoid '90s and later truck manifolds, which collect below the spark plugs and flare out at the rear; they won't fit between the frame rails.
For cooling, at a minimum you'll need a 3, or 4-row radiator built for the SBC application, or you'll have to do a lot of frame mods to install a normal size rad.

Back