• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Olympic mountaineer rack

IllianaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have one of these? Could you tell me how tall it sits over the floor? I'm thinking about putting one in the 01, but I have a Tuffy box already, and want to be sure I will have useable space between the rack and the box.

Here's a generic pic for those that don't know what it is:

907-4.jpg

i think those are made to sit about level with the top of the rear seat.

I was wondering the same thing because I have a subwoofer in my trunk and was wondering if it would fit. I have wanted one of these ever since I saw it. I know there are a few guys on here that have made their own.

IslanderOffRoad said:
i think those are made to sit about level with the top of the rear seat.

That's what the pic kinda looks like. That would only give me about 9" of space, not enough to fit a couple of Actionpackers under.

I just wanted to see if anyone had a definate dimension.

olympic4x4tech
NAXJA Forum User Join Date: Aug 2003

"I can send you a copy of the 907-15X mountaineer rack install instructions or any photos that would help. The mounting brackets bolt onto the sheet metal right next to where your stock spare tire mount is. The bolts will go through the plastic side panels and then the mounting brackets will be bolted on. We are working on using threaded knobs so you can quickly remove the basket. The basket dimensions are 4x22x44.5 . the bottom of the rack sits approximately 16.5" above the floor."

this is what a rep wrote....

Would those plastic screw knobs be available as a retrofit for all owners of the current offerings? =-) I hope so..

George T.

bigjeep - I'll PM you.

2001 - thanks for the info, looks with my Tuffy box that would only give me 5" of storage space. I'd like to fit a couple Actionpackers, which are ~12" tall according to Rubbermaid.

Rear mounted spare already kills visibilty, so this would be no problem :D

Two things that strike me off the bat about this:

- The spare tyre is removed. Not an issue if you've got an external carrier, but it doesn't look like there's a provision for it to be mounted with the rack in place.

- How does this fasten down? I'll admit that I haven't used my tie-downs in months, but looking at that rack it doesn't appear to use the stock locations.

I like the idea behind that rack, though... With a bit more info, I might be talked into picking one up.

They have some special 1/2" bolts that go thru the floor the bolt has a 5/16" thread tapped into it. The know attaches into there. The legs are 2 piece which i think could easily be lengthened with some extra tube and a couple of bolts.

Bulletproof bumpers sent me this one with my rear bumper, all I did was weld a three inch tube to each corner, and mount four tabs (angle iron) to the Jeep. Four U-bolts and ten minutes and I can take it in or out. I added the expanded steel, and built the box on the left, which houses an amp, inverter, compressor, and both ARB solenoids.

181861229-M.jpg

Back