• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water on passenger floor when A/C is on

Mpopp

NAXJA Forum User
ok I have owned a 97 sport 4x4 4.0L xj for only about 4 months. So I don't know that much about it yet. Every once in a while when I have been driving for over an hour with the A/C the pressure of air will decreace significantly, then a little box just above the passenger side foot space will get really cold and acually start to drip water. I tried searching the threads for this problem but so far I havent found anything, I'm new here so I don't know how to search very well so if anyone could give me some advice or direct me to a good thread on why the A/C pressure slows down, I would greatly appreciate it .

thanks illxj i think that explains my same problem but i'm not 100 percent sure. do you know anything about the problem?

Not any more than I posted in that thread. I have since disabled the AC & converted to OBA. JIM.

take your AC off of recirculate, when you keep it on that setting the humidity is removed from the interior of the vehicle, closing the open vent to let that drain and it pools and leaks into the floor.....or something close to that (trying to quote my mechanic from awhile ago) Just take it off that setting, run it for a little bit it should be fine

You're going to need to pull that carpet up now before it starts rusting out the floor. It may seem dry to the touch but the foam underneath will be soaked.
Mark

What is actually happening is that your evaporator is icing up due to a faulty low pressure switch. As the ice builds up on your evaporator, it decreases your air flow out the vent. If you shut it off for about 15 minutes, or run the heater; the ice will melt and you will get your air flow back. But once you run the ac the next time, it will ice up again. It's a common problem in late model XJ's

The dripping inside your XJ also indicates that the drain is plugged, but you need to address the cause of the icing up in the first place to eliminate the problem.

The low pressure switch is located on top of the accumulator under the hood. It can be replaced without discharging the ac system. Just unplug it from the connector, then unscrew the unit. A shrader valve type of connection on the low pressure prevents the leakage of R134

Back