• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Greasing slip yoke

Brad Klammer

NAXJA Forum User
I've read all the posts on the "clunk" issue and I want to grease my slip yoke to see if I can eliminate my clunk. I'm pretty green when it comes to XJ's and while under my Jeep I saw just one grease nipple on the front shaft. Has anyone made a write up on all greasable parts? I'm not entirely sure to go about greasing the slip yoke but would love to learn. Any feedback much appreciated.

:cheers:

The rear driveshaft is held on by four 8mm bolts at the rear pinion. Unbolt those and then use a screwdriver to unwedge the u joint from the pinion. Once the rear most portion of the DS is free then you just have to pull it back. Be careful not to hurt yourself b/c if the slip yoke is dry it can take a good pull to free it from the transfer case. You'll then be able to see the splines on the TC output shaft. Take the driveshaft and put grease inside the slip yoke (no zerk fitting to grease it). Put it back together. They say to use new u joint straps but I've used the old ones in a pinch and been fine. The torque on them isn't much but can't recall it now. Use Loc Tite on the bolts again. Hope this helps you.

-river

Back