• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck on JKS Qucker Disco's

fscrig75

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I kinda new to removing parts like this, though it looks easy enough.

I'm stuck trying to remove the Torx(sp) bolt from the axel bracket. I've tried taking the Torx bolt out but it won't budge. On Jeepin.com they said try heating it up and pounding it out, but I don't have a torch. On the instructions it says to try a tie rod end remover, I've got that, but haven't tried it yet. I don't want to bust anything up on Sunday when alot of stuff is closed. Does anyone have an suggestions? Thanks in advance. Also there is a sleave on the Torx bolt, do both of those just remove together?

the nut threads off the torx bolt. the torx bolt doesnt need to come off. get yourself some mapp gas anyway, always good to have around. heat it real good, then spray with pb blaster. smokey, but very effective.

bronc571 said:
the nut threads off the torx bolt. the torx bolt doesnt need to come off. get yourself some mapp gas anyway, always good to have around. heat it real good, then spray with pb blaster. smokey, but very effective.

The splined rivet bolt does needs to come off to install the JKS quicker disco. This is outlined in the instructions:
http://www.jksmfg.com/support/install_qrd_pn2000_2001_2002.pdf

This is a splined bolt that is riveted to the anti-sway bar mount. The easiest way to get it out is to un-rivet it with a BFH and toss the bolt when your done. You can also press it out with a ball joint or TRE press:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ball...-7249-NEW_W0QQitemZ170068018359QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-Tie-Rod-End-Remover/dp/B0002SRFOY

Personally I'd just grab my 3lb hammer and be done with it. :passgas:

Smack it good with a BFH

yea, beat it out with a hammer, you wont break anything

try to get that sleeve off there first it might make it a bit easier. its just rusted to the bolt. grab it with vise grips and try to get it turning and it you should be able to work it off there.

ok well time to get the BFH out and get to work. One other thing, if I can't get the sleave off will the bolt still come out with some good whacks?

On my '98 the bolts were in there rather good, whacking them with BFH only served to bend the axle brackets, so i got out the trusty ball joint press and pressed them out. They will eventually come out withbfh, jjust have to bend bracket back into shape if they are stuck very tightly.

Mine were rusted in there pretty good, like everything else in the salt belt. I cut them off even with the bracket and pushed what was left out with a pitman arm puller.

yea and mine is from the salt belt as well (PA). I've been whacking for like 1/2 hour and the most i've done is bend the bracket.
thanks for all the help

I wonder why they did the TJ and XJ differently. On the TJ, all three of them, they were not splined and pressed in, they just came out.

The hole on mine wasn't splined, why would they put a torx head on it if it had a spline in the hole?....His problem is that the bushing sleeve is rusted to the bolt... I think if he grinds tha head off the bolt it'll fall out.

Man I remember doing that a good 7+ years ago with my father. We killed a good amount of time getting them off my 98. We figured it was a pressed piece but proceeded cautiously as there wasn't any such information in the instructions back then. We kept warming it up and spinning it with a pipe wrench until it finally worked its way out.

i got a pitman arm puller from auto zones lend a tool thing and got both bolts out easily. took no more than 5 min for both. it would have been easier to grind part of the bolt off, but with some trial and error i was able to get both out without cuttin them at all.

i did get the sleave off after alot of WD40. i'll be whacking at it again this weekend, but i'll be using a torch this time as well. for now i'll just drive around with the one side hooked up, all the hammering messed up the threads, lol. thanks again everyone

Back