• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittant Stall problem...

Lodogg2221

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ 4.0. Somewhere around 126000 miles. It runs great, drives great, but every once in a while it just quits. It doesnt hesitate, or stumble, it quits like someone turned off the key, of course all the accessories and everything stay on, but thats the easiest way to describe it, running perfect one second, and off the next. It always starts right back up too. Sometimes it will go a week sometimes it does it a few times a day.

Ive been through a lot of threads about intermittant stalls, and it appears that the most mentioned item is the CPS...which I have not changed yet...I have changed the TPS, since once when I was wiggling wires and connectors, and otherwise looking things over, this caused it to die. Anyway, I dont want, and cant afford, to throw a bunch of sensors on hoping one will fix it, so Im hoping someone here can shed some light on it.
I have figured that because of the way it dies, it would be a low probability of a short, since it goes mostly the same places over the same roads and bumps, some very big, and never has trouble after the jarring. Seems more an issue of no spark, but I cant reproduce it by bumping, wiggling or any other means while its sitting idling in the driveway...

Oh, one more bit..when this started, it would only do it while idling, or stopped in traffic, but lately, its been anytime. Accelerating after a stop sign, going down the highway at a steady speed.

Shoudl I go ahead with the CPS and cross my fingers, or does anyone think there is a better first choice?

My 93 did the same thing, would just quit like someone turned the key off. It would usually start right back up again. It was the Crank Position Sensor.

To change it use 3ft of extensions with a 11mm(?) socket. Thread it up along the transmission above the crossmember. 15 minute job.

Back