• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing rear windshield

tsill

NAXJA Forum User
anyone done this? i got the old seal scraped off becuase it ripped as i was taking it off. im thinking it was glued on anyway and there really isn't any way to take it off and still save it. i'm gonna try to get a windshield from the junkyard but not sure where to get the seal and also how to install it. i'm also trying to save the 250.00 that i'm gonna have to pay the glass company to install it. what a waste of money.

tsill said:
anyone done this? i got the old seal scraped off becuase it ripped as i was taking it off. im thinking it was glued on anyway and there really isn't any way to take it off and still save it. i'm gonna try to get a windshield from the junkyard but not sure where to get the seal and also how to install it. i'm also trying to save the 250.00 that i'm gonna have to pay the glass company to install it. what a waste of money.
That is a waste of money, yes. It is rather easy to do yourself, the glass and seal just pop out. Just start working your way around the seal pushing it outward from the inside. I can usually just use my hands to push it out, but if it's really old you may find it easier to use a screwdriver. The new one goes in the same way. Typically people only say to use sealant if the new seal if very dry or worn already, otherwise it's a dry install.

seems like the factory used sealant. also the seal is ruined now so i have to figure out where to get one.
so for install i need to put the seal in first then set the window in it or set the window in the seal and then push the seal over the lip?

Year?

IIRC, the metal hatch models the gasket goes around the glass, then you lay a bead of sealant on the hatch and you lay the glass/gasket assembly on it like a windshield.

seems like that is how it should go on. that would be glass into the moulding and then glue it onto the hatch.

i have a 2000 btw, thanks
any worries about the glue not holding the window to the hatch. obviously not but sounds weird.

Your rear backlite is urethaned in. You don't NEED a new moulding, it'll just look like shit. I don't know what glass co. told you $250, but a labor cost for this job at my glass shop would be $50. $250 was probably for glass, moulding,labor, and glue. Once you have the glass out, trim down the old urethane as close as you can with a long knife (or utility knife) DON'T scrape every little bit of it off because urethane sticks best to urethane, and the main reason for trimming is because of the height when you set in the new glass. It is very important that every little scratch from the utility blade gets covered with pinchweld primer, or else you'll have a rust bucket within a few years time. Clean and glass prime the new glass. I would strongly suggest a new moulding. Shoot your bead of urethane, plop the glass in, and push down around the black band on the glass with the palms of your hands. Done! With that said, I would leave this to glass professionals. There are specific adhesives and primers that need to be used, and if your urethane bead isn't straight, it can get quite messy. I would abseloutely not use anything other than urethane, unless you wanna be picking up thousands of glass bits off the road your first time down the highway. In my 12 years of autoglass, I have seen some nightmare installations of DIYers. Any other questions, give me a shout. Jer

thanks for the reply. i have the glass from the yard at 106.50 and the labor at the glass shop is 65 including the urethane and "everything". Will they have a new moulding or will they have a universal kit?my old moulding is trash from me removing it. thanks on the advice about the pinchweld primer i will keep a heads up on that. thanks again

got the rear glass from the yard and they managed to do a nice job of saving the molding. hopefully it wont look like shit when they put it back in. i'm gonna take some time to get the old urethane nice and smooth on the tailgate and let them do the rest. thanks jbmoose. btw new molding from chrysler is 70 bucks and will take a day to get. gonna try to get it done on the cheap hopefully i dont get burned.

Back