• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C too cold?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
ok so in my 97 XJ i have great A/C. i know i know so what r u complaining about. well if i have it on for a certain aamount of time no matter what level the fan is on it eventually hardly blows any air out. its not the fan cuz i turn the level up and u can here it blowin real hard but it sounds like somethin is cloggin it. now if i turn it off for a while it works just fine again. anyone ever had this problem and/or know how to fix it? or if anything tell me what exactly is goin on

Sounds as if it's icing up. I think there's another thread recently here about which switch it is that controls compressor cycling. I finally got mine working after the clutch seized up, and now it's doing the same thing, though not every time.

it is icing up! when i have the fan on high it works just fine and has alot of air but after a while it hardly blows any air!! i asked a guy i know at the dealership and he said that it is icing up!!! i just usually turn it on low for a while and then its ok! and maybe it could be the controller of the ac, the whole unit on the dash that controls the louvers, it might not be working really well! i changed mine once

Last edited:
Like said before, it could be under or over serviced. AC systems are pretty picky about how much they've got in them.

mccastlej said:
I know you're icing up, that's why I wrote what I did. If you don't want some help, then don't ask.

I don't understand how a low charge will cause icing up. Doesn't that just cause it to cycle more often and eventually (assuming the low-side pressure switch is working) not come on at all? I also don't understand why this happens with the fan on high, but resolves itself after putting it on low for awhile. Shouldn't it be the other way around if its icing up?

I can see if the low-side switch is whacked, the compressor will run the high side pressure too high, which would cause too much cooling and hence icing. So I would agree that the first step would be to watch the low-side pressures and make sure they look right. You can get a cheap gauge usually with a R134a can attached at Walmart.

Last edited:
I guess since you don't want to believe a certified tech, then do some yahoo or goggle searching on your ac icing up. You'll find your refrigerant might be low, or your coils are dirty as the likely answers. It's not hard or expensive to do a pressure check, and it can tell you a bunch about your system.

What type of tech are you? Just asking because auto and home/commercial hvac tend to be different. It's not unusual for a home unit to ice up because of low charge, but I've never heard of it causing a freeze up on an auto setup. The advice to verify the charge with a test set is still valid advice.

Cracking open a 95 FSM and looking at the FSM a/c diagnosis section, under icing up it says the fin temp switch is likely faulty. There is a temp switch on the evaporator coil which if it's faulty or fallen off the coil, it won't be able to signal the PCM to cutoff the a/c and the coil will freeze up. So regardless of system charge, it's suppose to cutoff the compressor if the evap core gets close to freezing. There is a plug for it under the dash, so you can check it with a meter without having to tear into it. I can't guarantee this is the same for a 97 model though.

mccastlej said:
I know you're icing up, that's why I wrote what I did. If you don't want some help, then don't ask.
Who were you replying too here? The OP hadn't even responded yet!

mccastlej said:
I guess since you don't want to believe a certified tech, then do some yahoo or goggle searching on your ac icing up. You'll find your refrigerant might be low, or your coils are dirty as the likely answers. It's not hard or expensive to do a pressure check, and it can tell you a bunch about your system.

dude whats with the attitude? i have only posted twice and u act like im trying to say ur wrong and not listening to u. now ur advice has been realy good i never said any of it was wrong. also how was i suposed to know that ur a certefied tech? if i walked into a shop and saw u with ur shop shirt on with ur SAE badge then i wouldnt argue with u (not that i even had on here) but dude its the internet ud be surprised at how many people on here try to answer questions like they know what they are talkin about but dont really know sh*t. now like i said ur advice is good and im gonna try it but u said do a pressure test. ok then what dont just tell me to do a pressure test and not tell me what to do next i dont know much about the a/c except where the drier and compressor and condenser are. whats too much? how do i fix it? these are the kind of things u need to address if u are gonna take the time to make a post to answer a person's question. but seriously man u need to drop the attitude and chill its just the internet. by the way nobody said u were wrong they just coulndt understand how ur answer would help. u need to prove ur case not just say they r wrong. just a little friendly advice if ur gonna use this forum

Ben824 said:
dude whats with the attitude? i have only posted twice and u act like im trying to say ur wrong and not listening to u. now ur advice has been realy good i never said any of it was wrong. also how was i suposed to know that ur a certefied tech? if i walked into a shop and saw u with ur shop shirt on with ur SAE badge then i wouldnt argue with u (not that i even had on here) but dude its the internet ud be surprised at how many people on here try to answer questions like they know what they are talkin about but dont really know sh*t. now like i said ur advice is good and im gonna try it but u said do a pressure test. ok then what dont just tell me to do a pressure test and not tell me what to do next i dont know much about the a/c except where the drier and compressor and condenser are. whats too much? how do i fix it? these are the kind of things u need to address if u are gonna take the time to make a post to answer a person's question. but seriously man u need to drop the attitude and chill its just the internet. by the way nobody said u were wrong they just coulndt understand how ur answer would help. u need to prove ur case not just say they r wrong. just a little friendly advice if ur gonna use this forum

Is there any reason y u r stuck in txt msg mode?
<translation>
Is there any reason why you are stuck in "text message" mode?

waxer said:
Is there any reason y u r stuck in txt msg mode?
<translation>
Is there any reason why you are stuck in "text message" mode?

cuz im 21 and im part of the text message generation
<translation>
Because I am 21 and I am part of the text message generation.

Also what does it matter if you obviously understood everything I wrote? It makes typing quicker for me so I don't see the problem if you can understand what I am writing and it makes typing a whole lot faster for me. Oh and its not just texting that we use that for its also for instant messaging. You could say the same thing for all the abbreviations that people use for things on here, like for instance LCA (lower control arm). Why not just type it out, oh wait because its quicker. I could also ask you why you spelled California with a K, but I don't really care and I can understand what you wrote. Please next time if what you have to say doesn't pertain to the question asked in the post don't waste everyone's time with your smart a** comments. Thank you

Last edited:
Ben824 said:
cuz im 21 and im part of the text message generation
<translation>
Because I am 21 and I am part of the text message generation.

Also what does it matter if you obviously understood everything I wrote? It makes typing quicker for me so I don't see the problem if you can understand what I am writing and it makes typing a whole lot faster for me.

Being 21 and part of the "text message generation" is irrelevant. You aren't text messaging. :)

You seem to have a problem expressing yourself. You told me twice that it makes typing quicker/faster for you. :) If you were really concerned about how fast you typed, you would have only stated that once.

waxer said:
Being 21 and part of the "text message generation" is irrelevant. You aren't text messaging. :)

You seem to have a problem expressing yourself. You told me twice that it makes typing quicker/faster for you. :) If you were really concerned about how fast you typed, you would have only stated that once.

I was supporting my point when I repeated myself and no I don't have a problem expressing myself. The fact that I am part of the text messaging generation IS relevant because not only do we use it in texting and iming (instant messaging, didnt want u to get confused) we also use it in e-mails and in anywhere we have to type something that isn't gonna be turned into a class for some kind of grade. That my friend is how it is relevant. Opps I restated how its relevant I must have a problem expressing myself. I can be a smart a** too. Now please nobody wants to hear your idiotic comments about how I used text messaging short hand in my post. This is a place for talk about jeeps. Thank you

Wow, you must have had somebody else type this in for you. :)

When you grow up some more and get out into the real world of jobs, office politics, etc.. you will soon find that if you express yourself like that amongst your coworkers that you will give the wrong impression that you are ignorant.

When you fill out a job application (assuming you are not in college and have already hunted for jobs, etc) do you use that text messaging short hand as well?

I've seen it a few times and those are the applications that go into the "call them back later IF we can't find anyone else pile", simply because of the first impression given.

Was I being a smart ass? Sure... Was it to do you harm? No. I actually was trying to show you how it can get you negative attention in places where it might harm you financially (not getting a job simply based on the hiring manager not liking the text messaging style of writing).

Take it for what it's worth.

Later

It matters if you want some of us, OLDER, and EXPERIENCED, people to read your quest for help.

Back